Trying on helmets

RossoCorso34
RossoCorso34 Posts: 204
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm blessed with a large noggin. It has it's advantages, I've just not managed to work out what those advantages are yet.

It comes up at about 62.8cm and this is at the very top end of what helmet manufactures call 'large'. Pah. This makes buying a helmet a very long and boring process. For reference, it took me 3 months to find a helmet for my track day car that ticked all the boxes.

The main criteria for me is to find one that fits, and has a decent safety rating. So are there any shops in the West of London, or the home counties that has a good range of lids for me to go and try on? (I'm based in Reading, Berks). Also is there any form of safety rating with helmets? For example for motor racing, you have Snell Rating http://www.smf.org/stds Which is a brilliant resource should you ever need it.

I'm not too fussed by aero, looks, weight etc etc, I just want something that caters the cranially advantaged gentleman like myself :)

Comments

• You could order several from Wiggle and return the ones you don't want for a refund, I had to do this recently and it went without issue, when sadly a bargain Met Rivale didn't fit me properly.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I found that cycle surgery have a few helmets on display and they also (if in stock) will get them from their stores for you to try on.
    I stood there for about half hour trying loads on, only to walk out and buy one from Ribble.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    theboyfold wrote:
    Also is there any form of safety rating with helmets? For example for motor racing, you have Snell Rating http://www.smf.org/stds Which is a brilliant resource should you ever need it.
    There is no safety rating for bicycle helmets. All helmets sold in the UK have to meet the relevant British Standard so they will all be marked as doing that. Ones also sold in the US might be marked as passing the relevant US standard for bicycle helmets. There will be no other safety ratings on any helmet. There is no independent testing body that rates bicycle helmets.
  • My mate has a massive swede also, he tried loads of helmets and ended up with a Large Kask helmet which he says is a good fit.

I have a kask also, the adjustment/retention system is really good and very comfortable
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • I don't know if they still do, but Met used to meet Snell requirements.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Snell have a website on which you can look up all the certified helmets if you're really concerned about the standard. http://www.smf.org/cert
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thanks for all the answers, I'm not that concerned about having Snell accreditation, for the track car is was a must (in my eyes), it was more just to see if there was a common testing body, which there doesn't seem to be.

I will try and find a cycle surgery, in a location where there are a few other shops and spend the day pottering around trying to find something. I can't be bothered ordering, trying, failing and sending back with someplace like Wiggle as there are too many factors that can go wrong, and the process is too slow.

I will have a look at Kask helmets as well

Thanks for the replies so far
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Factors that can go wrong?
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    Factors that can go wrong?

That is doesn't fit my massive head. So then I have to send it back, and it gets lost in the post. (This happened with me recently with a trainer with Chain Reaction and I had to wait 21 days to get my money back). Plus, I can't always make it to the local parcel drop off place. I'd much rather give up a day, potter around bike shops and find one that fits.