Saris BonesSolo, S**t or is it me?

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Bought one today , been at it all night trying to fit.
Goes on car Ok ,. when you fit the bike , the bike moves like a wobbly jelly .
My car is a Seat Leon and Saris recon it should fit.
I dare not drive of the drive never mind to Thirsk for a Sportive on Saturday .
Looks like , in the back of the car for now.
Why does this thing get so many good reviews.?
regards
ILG

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    ilovegrace wrote:
    regards
    ILG

Are there any straps to tighten? If so, they'll need tightening again when you've put the bike on.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    ilovegrace wrote:
    regards
    ILG

I've used one with a Hyundia i10 and Boardman Road Carbon and it was great (for what it is and I've never used a proper rack to compare it to). Spent ages taping the car to protect it from the metal hooks and used pipe insulation on the frame itself and it all fitted quite snugly. Bit more foam on the pedal against the car and it seemed quite good. I'd taken the wheels off though so maybe it was more secure with less weight?

I know the above sounds a faff but for a one time use and tiny thing to store it fitted my bill perfectly, cleared some space in the car and didn't scratch my parent's car (or more importantly the bike....).
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If there's space in the car put it in there.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have the two-bike version and it's always been as solid as a rock. Are you making sure you're tightening the straps as much as you can, and tightening the dials on the arms as much as you can (without making them too tight that you can't undo them)? Also, the plastic straps that hold the bike to the frame need to be very tight as well.

I tend to leave the wheels on, and secure them with the leftover lengths of strapping, wrapping round the rims and the frame.

If in doubt take it back to where you bought it from and ask them for advice.
  • I've got the Saris 3, not sure how the solo differs (well apart from it's just for one bike) - it has three retaining straps, two on the top tube and one on the seat tube, is this the same arrangement as yours?
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Its gone back to Halfords, no quibble return , so OK there.
    Seats down and bike in the back for now.
    regards
    ILG
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It's you. I have used mine to carry bikes up and down the country including my tank weighted k2. Just make sure it's tight and the car is protected.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Got a Saris bones 3 carrier, all good here! Great design and safely carries 3 road or 3 HT MTB's on a Golf.
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    I had one, only used it once. I think the issue was because the bumper that the bottom feet rested on was plastic, so it bent once the bikes were fitted (even just one). This made the fitting unstable, and it was impossible to get right.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I have one, its handy as hell but doesn't secure the bike very well as it just attaches on the top tube.

I end up using bungie cords and padding to stop the bike flopping about.