Is it possible to use Wattbikes for endurance?

Boswell and Percy
edited April 2017 in Road general
Hi

I live in uni and although i have my road bike, its pretty much impractical for me to cycle 30+ miles on my road bike 3 times a week. I have a Wattbike in my gym but I end up spending 20 mins of hard (above threshold) work. When i do jump back on my road bike, i see that im more confortable at above threshold (300+W) but my lower aerobic endurance declines (basically I end up gassing out after 1 hour or so)

Would doing 1hr of average threshold work multiple times a week on the Wattbike keep the endurance?

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Why is it impractical?

A wattbike isn't some magic machine, its a static bike, very little difference to riding outside, depending where you live I doubt its much more time efficient than riding outside to be honest.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The problem I have doing long sessions on a static bike is that my butt hates it. Real riding tends to have you moving about quite a bit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Hi

I live in uni and although i have my road bike, its pretty much impractical for me to cycle 30+ miles on my road bike 3 times a week. I have a Wattbike in my gym but I end up spending 20 mins of hard (above threshold) work. When i do jump back on my road bike, i see that im more confortable at above threshold (300+W) but my lower aerobic endurance declines (basically I end up gassing out after 1 hour or so)

Would doing 1hr of average threshold work multiple times a week on the Wattbike keep the endurance?

So you ride at 300+ watts for 20 mins no problem but can't ride 60 minutes at a lower output..? Odd. I remember a guy saying how easy Steve abrahams 220 mile rides are. You should speak to him and get some advice. Oh yeah. It was you.
  • scott_w1987
    scott_w1987 Posts: 316
    You should be able to ride at threshold for an hour. If you can't then you need to lower your threshold.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Hi

You currently have no endurance. So you can't keep it.

Can you build endurance? Maybe. Level 10 maintaining a good output for an hour will put strength in your legs. It may or may not help with hills.

Why is getting out on the bike impractical? You're a student.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Why is getting out on the bike impractical? You're a student.

everyone in the club I ride with is a student ... they are half my age and ride twice as much as me.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Guys - you are all replying to this thread as though the OP is genuine. (He isn't - he's a troll).
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Imposter wrote:
    Guys - you are all replying to this thread as though the OP is genuine. (He isn't - he's a troll).

I was just going to suggest that the OP does some benchpresses to improve his endurance on the bike. Definitely get to 450 W FTP. Or maybe put his seat up higher to convert to a 40 kph bike.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Imposter wrote:

We know. But a thoughtful response can still call out trolls..............
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Imposter wrote:

We know. But a thoughtful response can still call out trolls..............

You can't keep a good troll down. Unfortunately Jay is not a good troll, he's a grade a idiot. But at least he is in the gym (allegedly) and not putting us all to shame with his biking prowess.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • I have a Wattbike in my gym but I end up spending 20 mins of hard (above threshold) work.

Intervals above threshold is not indicative of your steady state power. I can do 500w for a 1 minute interval or 350 for 4 minutes.

But I can't do 300 for an hour. Nor 300 for 30 minutes. I can do 220 for an FTP test and 200 indefinitely.

You have to train what you want to do. Seat time on the road will get you that. If I only did my 30 minute lunchtime interval sessions I'd be really good at 30 minutes of hard work going up really short hills or doing 1 to 4 minute pursuits. Nothing more.

If you want to climb a 1 hr or 2 hr mountain climb, you need to grind out some 2 hr+ rides.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    I have a Wattbike in my gym but I end up spending 20 mins of hard (above threshold) work.

Intervals above threshold is not indicative of your steady state power. I can do 500w for a 1 minute interval or 350 for 4 minutes.

But I can't do 300 for an hour. Nor 300 for 30 minutes. I can do 220 for an FTP test and 200 indefinitely.
    You should turn pro.*

*this is not a jibe, just a reference to another thread...
  • I have a Wattbike in my gym but I end up spending 20 mins of hard (above threshold) work.

You should turn pro.*

*this is not a jibe, just a reference to another thread...

Which of us? The OP? Link to thread for the lulz?

I'm the eternal bike path dweller and neighborhood segment chaser. You wouldn't catch me dead in a race of any kind. A drunken 100 mile pub tour? Sure.

I post a bit on here recently, but it's because I'm having fun. I'll say or suggest some moronic things, but it's in good fun and entertainment. I do not take myself seriously. The only time I've been angry about riding is when the wife has pissed me off and I go out and roll around in an infantile fit.

To quote some fantastic American cinema, this sums up my riding and training:
    Eleanor Roosevelt (not really, but funny): “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.”
    Ricky Bobby: "I wanna go fast!"
  • First.Aspect
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13069949&p=19958291#p19958291

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13075179&hilit=should+i+turn+pro

There are others.... have a read. People think the OP might have been dropped on his head during his infancy, or may reside under bridges. Personally I think he's absolute comic genius.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    ah ..... in that case, forget the wattbike .... hit the benchpress, get up to 130kg and eat 5g of protein per lb of body weight and reap those ftp gainz
  • First.Aspect
    I think he should consider taking up a sport that lasts less than an hour.
  • I think he should consider taking up a sport that lasts less than an hour.

I guess Wiggins's record is safe then.
  • First.Aspect
    I think he should consider taking up a sport that lasts less than an hour.

I guess Wiggins's record is safe then.
    I reckon he'd ace it for the first minute.
  • Quite a few pro cyclists do use Wattbikes, to be fair.