Non-alcoholic beer

13»

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I remember thinking Nanny State was a pretty good go at other Brewdog beers. For those who don't like it, is it just Nanny State you dislike or all of the other overrated Brewdog beers?
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Have gone right off IPA's so that affected my "rating".

£1.20 on the Erdinger doesn't seem too bad, until you see 4 Bavaria (although slightly smaller bottles) sat next to them for £2.

Which brings me to a small bug bear this past weekend in Glasgow. N/A or L/A's as expensive as the real thing in bars. Could get a box of 4 Becks Blue in Tesco/Asda for less than 1 bottle in Glasgow.
  • dinyull
    Daniel B wrote:
    voodooman wrote:
    I really like the Erdinger stuff (they were handing out pints to all finishers at the marathon, 1/2 and 10k in So'ton yesterday) and it really tastes even better after a run! Always have a few cans handy.

Nice, but pricey

Is it though?
    £1.20 for 500ml is pretty good I think, compared to other quality offerings out there imho.

I like Abbot Ale, and you rarely see that for less than £1.25 for a 500ml can.

Isn't that the point? 1 is low alcohol (or free) for the same price as a bottle of ale. Your in effect paying more for the A/F - L/A when you take away tax.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    HaydenM wrote:
    I remember thinking Nanny State was a pretty good go at other Brewdog beers. For those who don't like it, is it just Nanny State you dislike or all of the other overrated Brewdog beers?

I have tried a couple of other Brewdog beers: Punk IPA, Dead Pony Club, that 5am one, even got a taste of Tactical Nuclear Penguin through a mate back in the day (interesting side fact, there's a bit of MTB singletrack round here called that) - didn't like them massively either (the MTB track is fun though) though you can understand why on that last one, I mean 32% is going some, and of course COMPLETELY off topic.

The Punk IPA was ghastly - I do like a lot of other IPA's but I just couldn't get on with that one. Each to their own and all - can't knock them till you try them though etc etc
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    vimfuego wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I have tried a couple of other Brewdog beers: Punk IPA, Dead Pony Club, that 5am one, even got a taste of Tactical Nuclear Penguin through a mate back in the day (interesting side fact, there's a bit of MTB singletrack round here called that) - didn't like them massively either (the MTB track is fun though) though you can understand why on that last one, I mean 32% is going some, and of course COMPLETELY off topic.

The Punk IPA was ghastly - I do like a lot of other IPA's but I just couldn't get on with that one. Each to their own and all - can't knock them till you try them though etc etc

Tactical Nuclear Penguin is an experience! I'll drink their beers and enjoy them, their bars are often better than the alternatives too, I just find them a bit overrated compared to a lot of other fantastic breweries. Owe a lot to them though so hey ho

They also seem to be the main stomach acid inducers I've had so far, not their fault however...
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I don't really understand the concept of non alcoholic beer - for me there's no actual point in them. I drink so rarely these days that when I do have some suds they need to be full on. Back in the day I was drinking 3-4 bottles of spirits per week with ease - not a boast, just for context. I drink so unoften these days that I still have several examples left from my Beerhawk advent calendar.

I'm a fan of most things Brew Dog, including their bar in Nottingham and am particularly fond of Punk. I ordered a bottle of Nanny State when out for a meal a few months ago and didn't even realise it was sin free until halfway through. It was alright, but id be in no rush to order it again - I'd rather have a good glass of ice cold water. I don't recall trying any other n/a beers ever though so can only compare it to normal beers.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I managed to try Nanny state in the end - it wasn't quite what I was expecting, I like a good straightforward ale, but have clearly not had a 'craft' ale before!

Wasn't expecting the complex flavours and aromas - I drank it, but unlikely to purchase again.

The Erdinger is by far my favourite low alcohol beer though.

I can totally see the point of low alcohol beer, the same way I can see the point of decaffeinated coffee.

I think the thing you need to bear in mind above all else is the taste - so if you like the taste of beer, and or coffee, but don't want certain parts of it, alcohol or caffeine, then to me it makes the world of sense.
    I love the taste of coffee, but too much (Less than most people have I expect) can keep me awake until 3am.
    I also love a few beers, and or ales, but can't drink as many as most people I am sure, but the end result is if I have as many beers as I might like, I have to go home early, and or wake up with a hangover - and a hangover is not a good place to be with a toddler, and or if you want to go out on the bike.

So for me it makes a huge amount of sense, a similar, or in some cases a better taste (Erdinger versus fosters anyone?) but without any, or a vastly reduced set of side effects.

Having said that, I love a good Irish Coffee 8)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Moving away from German/craft offerings, Harveys brewery in Sussex still make John Hop beer. Less than 1% alcohol, so near as dammit, and might get you closer to an ale.
    Not tried it, and don't know if they deliver. It was mentioned to me by a mate.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    Just tried the Franziskaner Weissbier alcohol free (though actually 0.5% ABV).

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Tastes like a really nice weissbier, which I have to admit I am rather partial to. Got mine from Tesco, can't remember the price, but I will be stocking up.
  • dinyull
    Thick Mike wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Tastes like a really nice weissbier, which I have to admit I am rather partial to. Got mine from Tesco, can't remember the price, but I will be stocking up.

£1.20 (or 30) @ Tesco - this and Erdinger current clubhouse leaders. Although Budvar would be if I could get my hands on it.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Thick Mike wrote:

Yep. This is actually pretty good indeed. Only slightly less rounded and creamy than the alcoholic offering. And only £1.30 a bottle.
    Going down very nicely tonight with a bag of wasabi coated peanuts.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Erdringer were one of the Caledonian Etape sponsors and they were giving all finisher a chilled can as they crossed the line. It was being promoted as (tongue on cheek) isotonic recovery drink.
  • FeltZ85
    FeltZ85 Posts: 28
    Marks and Spencer do a cracking czech one, similar taste to Staropramen as its brewed in the same place i think. Best tasting i found during my extensive research :)
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Maisel's Weisse, is one of the nicest alcohol free beers Ive tried. It tastes just like a white wheat beer, similar to Hoegaarden (in my opinion).

I tried Brew Dog Nanny State, after reading this thread but for a non drinker I found it's taste a bit too much. I struggled to drink the first glass.

maisels_2016.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    This thread has got me interested.

I had discounted booze-free-booze after trying Kaliber & the 0% Becks offering probably 10+ yrs ago. They both tasted like soap.

I do love a beer, but not quite as much as I love the freedom and flexibility of driving. I live miles away from civilisation, so that's rather important to me. The thought of being able to sink a few decent tasting, yet booze-free, beers with friends is rather appealing. Nothing sadder than having your unit allowance of delicious beer and then switching to sickly soft drinks or bland old H20.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    FeltZ85 wrote:
    Marks and Spencer do a cracking czech one, similar taste to Staropramen as its brewed in the same place i think. Best tasting i found during my extensive research :)

Yes, I had a bottle last night; 0.5% brewed by Staropramen, quite nice indeed.
    There is also Krombacher Pils Alkoholfrei, which is also about 0.5% and that is very refreshing.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • peat
    I tried the Brewdog Nanny State last night. Not the nicest thing I've ever tasted, but far from the worst. I bought 2, the 2nd is in the fridge, i'll see if it's any better chilled.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    ben@31 wrote:
    Maisel's Weisse, is one of the nicest alcohol free beers Ive tried. It tastes just like a white wheat beer, similar to Hoegaarden (in my opinion).

I tried Brew Dog Nanny State, after reading this thread but for a non drinker I found it's taste a bit too much. I struggled to drink the first glass.

maisels_2016.jpg

Yep, Meisel Weisse all the way... not cheap though
    left the forum March 2023
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Picked up some of the Franziskaner at Sainsbury's (£1.20) - have to say, it's a really nice one (think I actually prefer it to the fully fuelled version), well worth a try.

Where have you chaps located that Maisel's stuff? Haven't seen any on my recent shopping expeditions.

Came across this website :https://www.drydrinker.com/shop?category=Beer - a "bit" on the pricey side, but I'm thinking about doing a bit of reverse showrooming - looking at the menu online, then seeing what I can find in an actual shop.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • daniel_b
    vimfuego wrote:
    Picked up some of the Franziskaner at Sainsbury's (£1.20) - have to say, it's a really nice one (think I actually prefer it to the fully fuelled version), well worth a try.

Where have you chaps located that Maisel's stuff? Haven't seen any on my recent shopping expeditions.

Came across this website :https://www.drydrinker.com/shop?category=Beer - a "bit" on the pricey side, but I'm thinking about doing a bit of reverse showrooming - looking at the menu online, then seeing what I can find in an actual shop.

Bizarrely when I search on Tesco or Sainsbury's website, all that turns up is the 5% stuff for £1.80 a bottle.

I've just stumbled across this though, and LOVE their regular offerings, so this has to be worth a try:
    IDShot_540x540.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • peat
    I'll be giving that one a whirl, but I'm not expecting much. I was given a box-set of St.Peters and sadly found each one rather unpalatable.
  • daniel_b
    Peat wrote:
    I'll be giving that one a whirl, but I'm not expecting much. I was given a box-set of St.Peters and sadly found each one rather unpalatable.

Shows how different and varied our tastes are!

I really like their Ruby Red and Cream Stout, not tried any of their other offerings.

Agreed though, if you don't like their other offerings, seems highly unlikely the Without will be a hit with you.

I'm going to try and pick some up today or at the weekend - Erdinger is my favourite low alcohol lager type drink, so would be awesome to have a viable ale\stout alternative as well - it's also only 88 calories a bottle :shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18