2017 bikes goning to be expensive?

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited April 2017 in Road general
Was just looking at wiggles own brand - the claris bike is now £600. :P

So nearly 100% percent increase as they were £350 for the 2016....

Must be brexit?

Comments

• deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Def more expensive.
    I bought a 2016 Giant Defy adv 1 when it came out and it was £1300.
    The same model 2017 is now £2000
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Moonbiker wrote:

Must be brexit?

just using a high price initially for the inevitable massive 'savings' they'll quote on their site later in the year
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Agreed, Synapses seem to have gone up by circa 20 to 25% in general, glad I am not in the market for one now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Fulcrum Racing Quattros were £170 a few months back, £240 on wiggle now. Pro Lite Revo's were £360 12 months ago, now £450.
  • I think the price hikes are worse on Shimano equipped bikes rather than Sram at the moment, Shimano are extracting the urine with their ~20%+ component price increases.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Moonbiker wrote:

Must be brexit?

Give it a bit and we'll have £350m a week for the NHS, no Johnny Foreigners, a booming economy and with a super strong pound and full employment we'll all be on Dura Ace Di2 on the winter bikes and Super Record EPS on the Summer bike.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Buy in March, weep in September.
  • Buy in March, weep in September.

I bought on Black Friday here in the US. I got a $2300 US aero bike for $1700. Was an abandoned build for a Propel Adv. 1 with Adv. 2 components. Wanted the Adv. 1 only color in red but didn't need Ultegra. So I got a sweet rig.

Our local mega-sports store called REI had Supersix Evo's in Ultegra for like $1400. I missed the last one of those by a day.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Buy in March, weep in September.

Absolutely, everyone wants a new bike wheels or shorts in Spring, can't expect bargains at this time of year really.
    Won't stop me looking though :wink:
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    But I'm talking about rrp prices.

So the £800 and £1000 Synapses from last year, are now both up by £200. That's a 25 and 20% rise respectively.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I got my new tarmac in Feb for £1500, two weeks later it had gone up to £1700.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Specialized have elevated 2017 prices as well but there's a sale on S Works bike's already.

On the plus side this should help the residual resale value of your bike but it'll be a bigger leap in terms of cash for buying a like for like model.

It'll be interesting to see if the sales start sooner this year due to the price increase, conversely if the prices increases don't take this year don't be surprised to see a reduction in quality parts on the bike of choice in 2018 as the manufacturer and importer will be chasing margin.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Must be brexit?
    Well, due to that the currency fell in value a lot and so everything imported is now more expensive. Therefore bikes are more expensive as they are all made overseas or if they are assemble in Britain all the component parts are made overseas.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    deejaysee wrote:
    Def more expensive.
    I bought a 2016 Giant Defy adv 1 when it came out and it was £1300.
    The same model 2017 is now £2000

That was a £1600 rrp when launched, your £1300 was a deal, the 2017 model is available £2000 rrp however it does have hyro discs not trp spyres, this is a fair upgrade and explains at least 50-75% of the price hike......to be fair a T700 frame with ultegra and hyro discs for £2k is a deal....given you can buy it for £1899 with £180 of free kit thrown in online or get a deal from your local shop
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • Buy in March, weep in September.

True to an extent but there are clearly deals to be done. I got £600 off RRP (following advice I received here) on my bike. Brexit clearly an issue after we saw the likes of Specialized bump up prices back in Jan/Feb.
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    I got my CAAD12 from Germany last year and saved a bucket load, the same model is £2k over here - the days of getting a good deal in Europe and getting it sent over are gone!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Trek and Specialized put their prices up by £100-£200 a few months ago (for bikes up to 3k at least) but some dealers have the old prices if you search a bit
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Someone mentioned to me, that a possible way of saving money is if you're in the mood for a US cycling holiday and buying a US branded bike. You could go over there and buy a bike, ride it on your holiday and then claim back the tax. As it was used, they said you wouldn't need to pay an import duty bringing it into the country.

Clearly an expensive option and probably only worth it for an expensive bike. Also highly questionable re tax - so I wouldn't recommend it.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Someone mentioned to me, that a possible way of saving money is if you're in the mood for a US cycling holiday and buying a US branded bike. You could go over there and buy a bike, ride it on your holiday and then claim back the tax. As it was used, they said you wouldn't need to pay an import duty bringing it into the country.

Clearly an expensive option and probably only worth it for an expensive bike. Also highly questionable re tax - so I wouldn't recommend it.

Or go over there with a crap bike in a bike box, buy the new one there, throw the old one away and bring the new one back in the bike box. Highly unlikely customs will bother checking the content of the bike box.

Haven't done it with a bike, but let's just say I am aware of similar practices with golf clubs (especially when it was $2 to the £)..........