Does and don't's of buying first bike

Lloydie
Lloydie Posts: 2
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi can anyone help I'm looking at taking up road biking but unsure what bike to buy I don't want anything to expensive also I am female and 5'1 so what size bike would I be looking at thanks

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    If I were you, I'd be looking at getting something like this.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/bikes-avail

It's got a woman specific set up, and is good value for money, and is very nicely built.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    As above, look for womens specific geometry. Best advice though is to go to a Local Bike Shop and see what they have. Try out a few different bikes, then do what us guys do and buy the one you like the look of!
    A lot of the larger manufacturers have specific ladies ranges, Giant, Trek and Cannondale for example. You could buy a bike based on what the internet says, but personally I think you will be better of going into the shop and being measured up.
    My wife isn't too dissimilar to your height and her road bikes are both different sizes, this is based on the different geometries and sizing guidelines each manufacturer uses. In Trek she is between sizes, could fit a 44 or a 47 and is close to a 50. This is why I would go in and see what bike you actually like the fit off. Bear in mind as well that if you haven't ridden a road bike before your position on day 1 will be different than when you are more accustomed to the ride. As you get more comfortable with the bike people generally move from being as upright as you are on your first few rides.
    My wife was a decent runner and relatively fit, but she was surprised how challenging hills could be. I would be asking the retailer to ensure the bike is a compact (50/34, that's the number of teeth on the front two gear cogs) and an 11-32 cassette (that's the rear gears, the 32 being the easiest to get you up the hills) - not all bikes can accept a 32 tooth rear cassette straight off so I'd make sure yours can.
    Also remember that we all started somewhere, don't be worried about the LBS. In my experience they are a friendly bunch and will do their best to get you the most appropriate bike. They will be used to all sorts of different sized people and different levels of fitness.
    Hope this helps.
  • Don't take sizing advise from people on the internet
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'd also suggest going to a decent LBS - get some recommendations if you haven't already identified one. Sure, the options will be narrower but I've just spent the last couple of hours getting the one we bought my wife from a large online retailer into something approaching a roadworthy state.
    I'd still put my trust in a decent bike shop until I knew what I was doing.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    If you're not sure you'll keep at it then don't spend the earth just to have something to collect dust. FWIW my partner recently bought Wiggle's road bike, pretty good value as a bike to dip your toe in the water and see if you like it.

No one on here should advise you on size though, Wiggle have a chart for that and if you're borderline you can always return it within 30 days to get a different size.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    birdie23 wrote:
    No one on here should advise you on size though, Wiggle have a chart for that

What about people on here that have read the chart???
  • juppa
    juppa Posts: 13
    You should also consider searching for second-hand bikes. But when test driving a used bike, remember to be critical when considering if the frame size is good for you even if it was a great bargain.

As women's road bikes are not so popular bare in mind that guys in LBS can try to speak you over to buying a bike that is for example too big for you, so they would get the bike sold. So as you are a woman it is especially important to try a few bikes before buying any :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Don't take sizing advise from people on the internet

Spot on. If there's one rule, its get a bike that fits you. A bike that is the wrong size or geometry and is not comfortable will not be enjoyable to ride, so you won't ride it.

Probably best to get a cheapish bike to start with, that way you get a feel as to whether its the right size and your second purchase will be a much better one.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'd get myself to a Giant dealer. Their Liv range is well regarded, plus they will sit you on a bike and tailor it to you - change stem height and length etc to make sure your buying the correct size bike.