Too tru Bro Leon/Manzano Postopon **spoilers

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited June 2017 in Pro race
cce539_db1f1ac80b334170a818f78fe18fc7d2~mv2.jpg_srz_379_569_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

great race today in Brittany as much as you can get in Brittany

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tro-Bro_Leon_2017_Startlist

After putting the Colombians in a sprinters race GP Denain (where they got third!) we now find them on the windy coast of North Brittany on long sections of cyclo cross territory.

The 18 year old Colombian junior champion Juan Amador asks after a couple of weeks of Brabantse Pijl/Denain/Finistere ............ ' Is this the racing in Europe' :shock:
Juan_Jose_Amador_2017_189.jpg

Bang em in some Spanish races for god's sake :)

apres-les-monts-du-tour-du-finistere-aujourd-hui-place-aux_1881580.jpg?article=20140419-1010132150&aaaammjj=20140419

kouign_2861.jpg

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    There's no TV coverage of this race anywhere?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • There's no TV coverage of this race anywhere?

from the small race thread
    I don't know about Good Friday, but Easter Monday just got better.

The best 1.1 race in the World, the Tro Bro Leon is live on the Eurosport player (one of the auxiliary feeds) from about 2pm this afternoon.
    Also on France 3 Bretagne from 1-20pm, so there should be the odd grey feed around as well.

Steephill : Also live Monday, Tro-Bro Léon (1.1 FRA): race info, startlist. Live video to come..
    Live video for Tro-Bro Léon Monday at 14:30 CET / 1:30:00 PM GMT
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Too good a photo opportunity to miss. :D

1-pierre-luc-perichon-a-droite-et-les-bretagne-seche_2333032.jpg
    IAMcycling_TroBroLeon_11.jpg
    Tro-bro-leon-2.jpg
    80B_3694.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • La Ribon ( I only learnt that today) - it's Bretagne for a particular type of farm track I think?
  • blazing_saddles
    Just over 80kms left. Been on the Es player for 10 minutes or so.
    No commentary which means no Kirby, at least. :)
  • blazing_saddles
    "Ribin" section 10 and we have had a chute. These tracks make the Strade Bianche look like a motorway.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Is the heli pilot also doing a crop survey as a sideline? He seems to lose the race every so often....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    A no commentary stream on YouTube for those without ES player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QujXhBWoQ7U
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Quigley now live on Dutch ES 2 with 33kms to go.

Several live links here:-
    https://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/#
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Bang em in some Spanish races for god's sake :)

There's none left...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    FDJ looking a bit fed up with leading the chase up to the two leaders Backaert and Gaudin. 17km to go and the gap is 1 min.
  • RichN95.
    Why is Gaudin on the Army team? He's a decent rider. Does he want to be a soldier or something?
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why is Gaudin on the Army team? He's a decent rider. Does he want to be a soldier or something?

Well, he can't join the fashion police with that kit. :P
    Gap coming down.
    Big crowds out as usual.
  • blazing_saddles
    Damien "action man" Gaudin and Backaert lose another 10 seconds
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    More rough stuff with 2.5km to go. Gaudin doing most of the work at the front.
  • blazing_saddles
    Damien Gaudin turns back the clock.
    Chapeau that man.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Decent finish there and glad to see Gaudin take it after doing all the work. The kit though.....
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:

Riders on the team are soldiers. That doesn't mean they have to be a soldier before they join.

Afaict, they're basically just sponsored by the army nowadays, with lots of smoke and mirrors to maintain the pretense of them being an Army team.

eta: so he's basically just a PCT rider on a rather unique team with an odd culture for a cycling team.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    RichN95 wrote:

He's a big unit, would make a decent soldier!
    I had to check wiki to see his 5th in Paris Roubaix. Good trackie, then 2 years of nothing, 1 good year then nothing much.
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Riders on the team are soldiers. That doesn't mean they have to be a soldier before they join.

Afaict, they're basically just sponsored by the army nowadays, with lots of smoke and mirrors to maintain the pretense of them being an Army team.

eta: so he's basically just a PCT rider on a rather unique team with an odd culture for a cycling team.
    But it's not a PCT team - it's Continental

I was just wondering why a rider of his ability (and only 30 years old) was doing on a third division team. There's plenty of French teams who have worse riders.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I was just wondering why a rider of his ability (and only 30 years old) was doing on a third division team. There's plenty of French teams who have worse riders.
  • The_Boy
    dupe.
  • The_Boy
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

You're right, I got confused as I'm fooking knackered. Though they do get pro contracts at that level in France, iirc. Plus , iirc, they have a decent budget and facilities relatively speaking. Given he had a ropey few years at AG2R there's every possibility that was the best offer he had - ride the french .1 races for a decent pay packet and get a few wins along the way. They have a few other ex-WT riders on the team*.

*not guys who have top-5s in monuments, mind. But ropey few years at AG2r etc.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    quite funny;
    As the members of the Armée de Terre team are all soldiers as well as cyclists, they all have military ranks. Most of them are graded as soldat de deuxième classe, the lowest rank in the French Army. Barbas, Le Roux and Levasseur are soldats de première classe, the next highest rank; Combaud and Guyot are caporaux, while Sinner holds the equivalent rank of brigadier; Canal is a caporal-chef. The highest-ranked rider is Julien Gonnet, who is a sergent-chef
  • inseine wrote:
    quite funny;
    As the members of the Armée de Terre team are all soldiers as well as cyclists, they all have military ranks. Most of them are graded as soldat de deuxième classe, the lowest rank in the French Army. Barbas, Le Roux and Levasseur are soldats de première classe, the next highest rank; Combaud and Guyot are caporaux, while Sinner holds the equivalent rank of brigadier; Canal is a caporal-chef. The highest-ranked rider is Julien Gonnet, who is a sergent-chef

I like the French army base their rankings on the level of chef you are
  • The_Boy
    Gaudin wins tour of Luxembourg prologue.