2017 Vitus Dominer DH Bike

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

Thinking of getting my son a Vitus Dominer DH bike, he's quite light weight so the Vitus seemed good as the bike is quite light for a DH bike and the spec also seems good.

http://chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-dominer-dh-suspension-bike-zee-2017/rp-prod146545

Is this bike good value for money or is there something out there in this price range that is a better bet, all a bit new to me this DH scene :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm no expert on DH bikes but that is pretty well specced as a DH bike for the price.

Does he really need a DH bike though, on most UK tracks an Enduro bike is just as fast, better to learn on and will be cheaper and you can actually ride it using the pedals, one to think about.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'm no expert on DH bikes but that is pretty well specced as a DH bike for the price.

Does he really need a DH bike though, on most UK tracks an Enduro bike is just as fast, better to learn on and will be cheaper and you can actually ride it using the pedals, one to think about.

Hi Rookie.

Thanks for the reply, have to be honest the more I look the more my head hurts :D as it's quite a big commitment for us, he's been riding a 2012 Nukeproof AM Mega for around 8 months now and as you say I can't make my mind to stick with it this year or not.
    IMG-20170327-WA0000_zpsuwcpmifz.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Domineer isn't a very good frame. Fairly sub standard rear suspension and odd steering feel. I'd rather have the Mega to be honest.
    Since he's still growing and DH bikes sell for nothing second hand, I'd go used and get a tidy Devinci Wilson or Transition TR450/500. If you buy new and have to replace it in a year, you'll lose a good £1000 - £1500
  • iwilldoit
    The Domineer isn't a very good frame. Fairly sub standard rear suspension and odd steering feel. I'd rather have the Mega to be honest.
    Since he's still growing and DH bikes sell for nothing second hand, I'd go used and get a tidy Devinci Wilson or Transition TR450/500. If you buy new and have to replace it in a year, you'll lose a good £1000 - £1500

Hi RockmonkeySC.

Thanks for the reply as DH is all new to me could you explain what's not good with the frame and rear suspension, I've been reading reviews and read that the 2016 model felt top heavy, but thought it had been improved with the new model.

It all helps when I know what I'm looking for :D must admit it's making my head hurt looking at all the different stuff :lol: