Black brake cartridges?

gingertimmins
gingertimmins Posts: 26
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, so I'm new to this road bike malarkey. Gotta say I'm enjoying it, even though my bike is only a humble carrera TDF.
I'm looking to replace my non cartridge brake pads with some cartridge style ones and all the shops around me stock silver/chrome ones but not black. I know it's a non issue really but my calipers are black and i think the contrast of silver would look odd.
Can anyone recommend some?
Of course I know that it will make zero difference to my braking ability, it's purely aesthetic.

Or am I being pathetic?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks! I always forget about looking on wiggle. one question though. How come, if pretty much any cartridge holder is shimano compatible, the black ones are a fair bit more expensive than the cheaper silver ones?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Because they are faster.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Because they are faster.

Why do you really think I want to go for black ones :D
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Dont waste your money.

Buy a front 5800 caliper for £26.49
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-brake-caliper/

You get black brake holders, brake pads and actually noticeable much better braking.
  • Check out sram apex.. They come with swissstop pads and are only around 35quid. Great upgrade if you do need new pads

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... 7C185375UK
  • See, I do need new pads but I don't want to throw £50+ at the carrera which I'm planning on replacing pretty soon.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    See, I do need new pads but I don't want to throw £50+ at the carrera which I'm planning on replacing pretty soon.

How soon is soon ?

Your front brake is your primary brake. Most of your braking should be done on the front brake so really you only need to buy a front caliper to see a big change. It wont match with the other one but you''ll save money.

The rear wheel brake is alot easier to lock up then the front, so the rear caliper already fitted to the bike should be adequate. Unless its totally bobbins.

There is nothing worst than having crap brakes. The 5800 calipers are very decent. You cannot go wrong with your money. i know personally where i'd spend the money. If you want to scrimp and save on safety go ahead i aint stopping you. It's your cash.

Pads and a set of pad holders will cost you £15+/- , another £10ish for a 5800 caliper seems like a no brainer.
  • trailflow wrote:
    See, I do need new pads but I don't want to throw £50+ at the carrera which I'm planning on replacing pretty soon.

How soon is soon ?

Your front brake is your primary brake. Most of your braking should be done on the front brake so really you only need to buy a front caliper to see a big change. It wont match with the other one but you''ll save money.

The rear wheel brake is alot easier to lock up then the front, so the rear caliper already fitted to the bike should be adequate. Unless its totally bobbins.

There is nothing worst than having crap brakes. The 5800 calipers are very decent. You cannot go wrong with your money. i know personally where i'd spend the money. If you want to scrimp and save on safety go ahead i aint stopping you. It's your cash.

Pads and a set of pad holders will cost you £15+/- , another £10ish for a 5800 caliper seems like a no brainer.

I'm narrowing down my shortlist so we're talking a few weeks, maybe a month?
    My current brakes aren't particularly bad it's just that the original non cartridge pads are pretty worn so I would like to replace them. I wouldn't say that's scrimping on safety.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Got to love BR...
    "I need some new pads"
    "Buy a new bike, the pads are included"

Anyway, OP, have a look at the Lifeline ones on Wiggle as I have heard good things about them so they may be worth a punt and should tide you over for now. Then again, they are so cheap that trying to cover min postage might be a problem!

Edit: yes they are silver but stop being a tart ☺
  • trailflow wrote:

How soon is soon ?

My current brakes aren't particularly bad it's just that the original non cartridge pads are pretty worn so I would like to replace them. I wouldn't say that's scrimping on safety.

What's on the shortlist? It's quite possible that the 105 5800 calipers may also be an upgrade to what comes on a complete new bike and worth transferring from the carrera.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
  • trailflow wrote:

How soon is soon ?

What's on the shortlist? It's quite possible that the 105 5800 calipers may also be an upgrade to what comes on a complete new bike and worth transferring from the carrera.

Good point about the potential upgrade but the main contender is the cannondale CAAD 12 which is equipped with 105 already. I have however been checking out the used market and it's looking healthy at the moment so maybe by upgrading the carrera for now and buying a good used bike and eventually moving the upgrade to the new one I could still save some cash!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essent ... ts-4-pack/

Equally as good as Swisstop and the like, and a fraction of the price
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just buy the ones you want and paint the holders with Airfix model paint or similar.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    SheffSimon wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-road-brake-holders-and-inserts-4-pack/

Equally as good as Swisstop and the like, and a fraction of the price

100% agree here.

Purchased after recommendation from here and swapped out the solid pads for these and wow my brakes feel totally different. Way more confidence in them now, however looks like they are wearing.

That said ... Look how cheap they are, may as well keep replacing as they wear and probably still cheaper than the expensive brands.