IDEAL Road bike price tag?

Timvee
Timvee Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello, I've been lurking here for a little bit but finally have a question.

Really brief about me - I have 3 bikes, an extremely beaten up 1970's Carlton Grand Prix which I ride everywhere and love to pieces (literally, its forks are currently soaking sodium hydroxide, 2 weeks into a battle with a seized stem), a late 80's Raleigh Courier I picked up for 15 pounds and painstakingly restored annnnd this one...

20170415_120742.jpg
20170415_120805.jpg
20170415_120823.jpg
minus

I bought this from my flatmate a couple of weeks ago for fifty quid and it was in a pretty sorry state. I gave it a good clean then replaced the brake and gear cables and housings, chain and grip tape, new (cheap) tyres and tubes. I bought it restore and then sell but now it's done I don't have much of an idea of what it's worth.

It has a Shimano 105 groupset on it which is pretty scratched up but in perfect working order, carbon forks in good condition, the paint is pretty dinged up but no rust or damage to the frame itself, biggest problem is a crack in the back wheel rim, even though it rides really nicely, it will need to be replaced. I figure wheels are one of the more scalable components so I'm gonna sell it as is and the buyer can decide what to replace it with.

I figure coming into summer/triathalon season I should be able squeeze at least 150 out of it, I'm just wondering what people think the most someone would pay for this is? I've never sold a bike before but plan to start with the highest reasonable price then peel it back until I start getting some interest. Any other tips for selling would be great :).

Thanks a lot
Tim

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Selling posts are not really allowed on here. Best advice would be just to stick it on ebay - put a reserve on it if you like.

16) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark.
  • Timvee
    Timvee Posts: 3
    Imposter wrote:
    Selling posts are not really allowed on here. Best advice would be just to stick it on ebay - put a reserve on it if you like.

16) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark.

Oh shit sorry, that's so weird. I read through the rules last night and completely missed that. Thanks, sorry.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Don't worry about it ;)

It's unlikely to be worth less than you paid for it, although with a cracked rim it may not be regarded as being in 'rideable' condition, so that will have to be reflected in the price.