Chainline weirdness with fc-m460 square taper chainset

davee128
davee128 Posts: 27
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
So I have a 2005 vintage Specialized with 68mm BB shell that I bought 2nd hand. It came with BB and cranks (Deore m460). I believe the cranks were original to the bike when new. No idea about the BB but the axle length was 117.5mm. I replaced the BB when it died, with a 118mm as that was all that was available. The front mech I've been using was a circa 1995 Alivio. It's never been 100% reliable shifting to the granmy, but has been ok most of the time with the limit screw out at max (only just making contact).

I tried to upgrade the ancient front mech to a 9 speed deore triple in the hope of getting better shifting and found that it wont go anywhere near the granny!

Investigating this I found that the chainline is way off. Having trouble measuring it accurately, but I find that the chainline is below 45mm.

The cranks have never come loose so I'd be surprised if the taper was knackered.

Any ideas why?!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easy, the cranks want a longer BB, someone has swapped to the wrong one at some point, most Shimano want a 122 which would move your rings out 2mm.

Not ancient, my MTB (Niota, link in sig) is a 2006 frame and cranks, it will get offended.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davee128
    davee128 Posts: 27
    Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of too, but the only info I can find online suggests 117.5 is correct:
    http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/conten ... nkset.html
    http://forums.mtbr.com/shimano/fc-m460- ... 61524.html (unfortunately linked shimano document no longer available)
    In addition it is quite hard to find longer BBs.
    I think I'm just going to swap it out for hollowtech II.

I think 1995ish counts as ancient for a front mech doesn't it? :)

The bike is also on 1998 Deore LX shifters! :-o
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plenty of 122 square taper around, you just need to look!

I get 88 hits on eBay for starters.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.