Commencal AM or TR

Sweatlikeapig
Sweatlikeapig Posts: 25
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, got my heart set on a Commencal Meta TR 4.2 Essential......its got spot on reviews everywhere. They don't sell the TR version anywhere in the UK (will get frim Commencal website) but they do sell the AM version at Chain reaction where I could get 10% discount. Which is a big chunk of saving.

In the 10/10 MBR review they say "commencal have the AM and TR versions. Here we are testing the TR".
Does this mean that the AM version also gets good reviews (I can't find any). The spec is mostly the same bar the suspension where the AM has more travel.

I currently have a Scott Scale 760 hard tail which I feel has taken a bit of a battering at my local trail centre but I also love the occasional big enduro adventure up the Quantocks etc. Would love to start doing small jumps on trails which my Scott can't do.

What would you guys go for AM or TR?? Want to order by tomorrow so I can ride next week as my Scott needs a service!!

Thanks in advance....happy Easter!

Comments

• POAH wrote:
    links or list differences
    Apologies......makes sense!
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    The AM looks more Enduro, the TR more of a trail bike. TR is lighter, AM slightly better specced. I'd say it comes down to the extra travel on the AM, is that something you want or not?
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Seems the AM and TR are pretty much the sam bike with different travel, so as above, depends what length travel you need.
  • Sorry I didn't do this earlier, appreciate its easier to do the hard work yourself before asking for help.

Differences with the bikes are as follows

Frame - Meta AM V4.2 650b 160mm travel, 2017 META TR V4.2 650b 130mm Travel

Shock -AM RockShox Deluxe RT, 230x60, 2 positions,
    TR ROCKSHOX DELUXE RT, Metric standard 210x50, rebound, platform 2 positions

Fork - AM RockShox Lyrik RC, 170mm, solo air, boost,
    TR ROCKSHOX PIKE RC, 140 mm, boost, 15mm stealth axle tapered

Brakes - AM SRAM Guide R, 200mm/180mm,
    TR SRAM LEVEL TL, 180mm / 180mm

Shifters - AM SRAM GX, 1x11 speed,
    TR SRAM NX, 1 x 11 speed

Crankset - AM SRAM GX X-Sync, 32t, boost 170mm on S/M,
    TR SRAM GX, 32 T, direct mount, boost 170 mm on S/M

Rims - AM  Mavic 427, 32 holes, hookless, tubeless ready, 27mm inner,
    TR MAVIC 424, 32 holes, hookless, tubeless ready, 24mm inner

Weight - AM 14.04kg,
    TR 13,63 kg

All the others are exact same, these are the differences. What do you think spec wise? Would really appreciate some knowledge!
  • jamski wrote:
    The AM looks more Enduro, the TR more of a trail bike. TR is lighter, AM slightly better specced. I'd say it comes down to the extra travel on the AM, is that something you want or not?

Eventually Id like to start doing jumps, for the time being I want to just to have a better ride around my local trail centre than I am on my scott at the moment with a few 25 mile Enduro events thrown in throughout the year.
  • jamski
    jamski wrote:

Eventually Id like to start doing jumps, for the time being I want to just to have a better ride around my local trail centre than I am on my scott at the moment with a few 25 mile Enduro events thrown in throughout the year.

I can't pretend to have any experience of Enduro bikes, or even much of trail full suss (picking my first one up on Tuesday!) but Enduro bikes aren't meant to climb as well as trail bikes. They will climb, but are designed to go well downhill. Trail will do it all. 140/130mm you've got a decent amount of travel, it's what I'll have. 120mm is the minimum for a trail bike so you've got some extra in there. The brakes are fine too, 180mm front and back will be fine for trail. Again, with 200 on the back it's designed for more 'hardcore' stuff. The groupset is probably much of a muchness. I do t know the sram lineup off the top of my head though.

I'd say the TR is the more all round bike.
  • JGTR
    Reviews state TR is a whole kilo lighter as well??
  • jamski
    JGTR wrote:

Which should mean it climbs better. The saddest sight at a trail centre is people on expensive Enduro bikes walking up the hills!

All depends what you want the bike for most. Trail centres or Enduro? I'd say you could do the odd Enduro on a good trail bike, but could you do lots of trail riding on an Enduro bike?
  • jamski wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Which should mean it climbs better. The saddest sight at a trail centre is people on expensive Enduro bikes walking up the hills!

All depends what you want the bike for most. Trail centres or Enduro? I'd say you could do the odd Enduro on a good trail bike, but could you do lots of trail riding on an Enduro bike?

True. Something to think about. I'm so swayed by the AM version as I can get it in the UK...with 10% discount.
  • JGTR
    You seem set on the AM so go for that, personally I'd go for the TR as it seems better suited to the type of riding you want to do.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    jamski wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

True. Something to think about. I'm so swayed by the AM version as I can get it in the UK...with 10% discount.

nothing sad about walking up a hill. fitness and skill are the reason not the bike.

biggest difference between my current bike and the previous one is the geometry. I never felt like I didn't have enough suspension travel (150F140R).

in saying that I would probably go for the TR. I think 170mm is far too much for most UK stuff while the reach is longer for the TR oddly.
  • JGTR wrote:
    You seem set on the AM so go for that, personally I'd go for the TR as it seems better suited to the type of riding you want to do.

To be honest, I was completely set on the Trail version, as I had done all the research on the \trail version. I only switched after realising I can get the AM much cheaper and from the UK with free shipping.

All of the advice has been taken on board, hence why I haven't ordered yet. My local trail centre has a couple climbs that last for a few minutes. When I go on a day event such as the Quantock Quake or Exmoor Explorer then its climbing for fun :roll:
    I did these on My Scott Scale 760 and struggled with the climbs, not walking, but thinking that the bike wasn't doing me many favours. The customer reviews on the Am verion from Chain rreaction say that the climbs on it are actually that of a hardtail or easier. Can that review be a dodgy one like most are!?

Its a nice problem to have as they are both nice bikes.

Does anyone honestly think that buying the 'wrong' bike out of these two coukd be a big mistake, or are they both cool bikes that will only have a slight difference anyway? Bare in mind, I'm an improver looking to improve lots more, so don't really know my arse from my elbow. But I'm hoping this bike and lots of riding will propel me to get better.
  • POAH wrote:
    I don't think you'll go wrong.

Thanks pal :D