Look pedals

ChopFamily
ChopFamily Posts: 18
edited May 2017 in Road buying advice
Just upgraded my bike & need a new pair of pedals, have previously used Look, and have them on my winter/commuting bike so don't really want the expense of changing 2 sets & cleats. Looking for advice on which model is best, are the standard Keo good enough or the blade or a different one??

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    ChopFamily wrote:
    Just upgraded my bike & need a new pair of pedals, have previously used Look, and have them on my winter/commuting bike so don't really want the expense of changing 2 sets & cleats. Looking for advice on which model is best, are the standard Keo good enough or the blade or a different one??

Depends on your wallet. I prefer the positive clip you get on the Blade 2 pedals and the larger contact area makes them feel nicer too IMO. The standard ones with the metal plate inserts are fine though TBH
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Personally I'd avoid the blade version as it squeaks badly and will drive you mad unless you like an intermittent squeak.

I've gone back to shimano which are trouble free and quiet.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Slowmart wrote:
    Personally I'd avoid the blade version as it squeaks badly and will drive you mad unless you like an intermittent squeak.

I've gone back to shimano which are trouble free and quiet.

I've never had a problem with the blade 2 squeaking. I have had a blade break in half though which was extremely annoying as I was abroad at the time. Any of the keo range will be fine.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have 2 bikes with basic Look Keo pedals on, both over 4 years old now and never had a problem.
  • Thanks everyone, would spend up to £100, but don't feel much benefit to much more.
  • Search for some good deals - I got my last Keo Max for ~50% off.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • juppa
    juppa Posts: 13
    FYI Look KEO 2 Max Blades are now at pretty good price in CRC (under 60€), I just ordered first Look's ever.

I have always been running Shimano's pedals but wanted to try Looks for a change. I hope they won't squeak...
  • Thanks very much for all the info
  • CC12
    CC12 Posts: 5
    I have Keo Blade 2 - great pedals
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Keo blades are nice in my view, worth the slight increase in cost for the wider pedal base.

I'd agree with the comments though, I think the spd-sl system is a smidge more trouble free than look. Once my vector finally gives up the ghost, I'll migrate back. The squeaking is caused by the non-slip look cleats, a bit of oil on the metal base plate normally cures it.
  • I have the blade and thought my Campy Record BB was creaking so l started taking everything apart to fix it. I was having an issue getting the crank off so l put it all back together for ride with plans to start again after l was done. I'll be damn no more squeaks or clicks. It was the Look pedal. Don't get me wrong l love them! And I'll learn how to fix the issue or just zone to music and ignore it. Just be aware there's a design flaw in there somewhere? By the way they are the 2017's with a carbon spring