Dings (small) in All frames - anyone???

ExCyclist
ExCyclist Posts: 336
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Has anyone ever dinged their alu frame before? A bike I may be after has a small ding in the top tube and with it being alu framed I'm not overly sure if this may compromise the integrity of the frame or if it may be ok?

I know I could get it looked at by a bike shop but Alu tends to be a tough old beast however I'm seeking advice before I make a definite move.

All input welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Impossible to say without more information - pictures and what frame it is would help.

I have a very tiny ding on the top tube of one of my mountain bikes, and have judged it to be fine - it's more the paint has been taken off rather than any major impact on the actual metal. I'd have been more concerned if it was a lighter frame (likely to have thinner tube walls) or if the dent had been deeper.
  • ExCyclist
    whyamihere wrote:
    Impossible to say without more information - pictures and what frame it is would help.

I have a very tiny ding on the top tube of one of my mountain bikes, and have judged it to be fine - it's more the paint has been taken off rather than any major impact on the actual metal. I'd have been more concerned if it was a lighter frame (likely to have thinner tube walls) or if the dent had been deeper.

It's on a Rose Xeon RS (http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13076918&p=20086544&hilit=rose+xeon#p20103539) frame that is for sale in the classifieds section. Selling info says that it's from a foot being swung over the top tube and it dinged then - initially thought it may be thin Alu at that point but having read other threads from MTB riders with dings in their frames I decided to ask regarding this particular issue.

Thanks for replying btw.
  • Don't touch with a barge pole

HTH
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I would definitely avoid that. If it really is from being tapped by a foot while climbing off then the tube is very thin and I wouldn't trust the damage. I'd be concerned that isn't the whole story anyway.
  • ExCyclist
    Thanks fellas. Just thought I'd ask before going on with it.

Back to drawing board :D