Wheel experts! Shimano RS80 rear hub - repair?

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 847
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi All
I have an old pair of RS80 C24s on my n+1. I've serviced the hubs with fresh grease a few times but the rear was running rough (and had a light rattle on uneven roads) prior to my last service a couple of weeks ago. I replaced the rear ball bearings and but also found that the cones were slightly scored (but not particularly deep). All was fine for a couple of rides (about 70-80 miles total) but the light rattle has come back. They are set up fine with no play and not overtight.

Question is - can the wheel be saved with new cones or am I clutching at straws? I don't want to keep spending money on them if they'll never be good again. They are 5 years old but I don't want to buy new wheels if I don't have to, especially as the front wheel runs perfectly well and there is plenty life in the brake tracks.

SJS seem to do quite a few parts but I'm not sure what I need - cones are simple enough but can the cups in the hub be replaced - is it economically viable??

Cheers
Scott Addict RC
Scott Foil Premium
Trek Emonda Disc
Scott Solace 10

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    At the end of the day if the wheels function fine with no play does it matter if the bearings are slightly rough??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I would take the cones out, go to your local machine shop and ask them to grind them, if they are only lightly scoured the adjuster should take up the slack.

If the cups are scoured then, they you need to change cup, cones and balls at the same time. If you don't any defect will likely still be present once one component is changed
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    It works as a system: cones - cups/races - bearings. A defect in one component will lead to premature wear of the others. Bearings usually go first but can be easily replaced. Cones can be replaced. However, races are not replaceable and when they're worn - it's time to replace the hub.

Take the hub apart and have a look at the races. If they look good - smooth, no pits - then I reckon it's worth fitting new cones and bearings (assuming the rims are in good shape too.) RS80s have a great reputation and would be well worth saving. I'd happily roll on a pair.

BTW - I've never heard of grinding cones before.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth getting a second (objective) opinion on the rims. I would be surprised if they are still much above the .7mm caution point. When I binned my rs80s the Ultegra hubs (which I regularly serviced) were still in mint condition despite riding in all weathers... and throwing them away started my eventual shift to handbuilt options.
  • Thanks all. Its the cups/races I was unsure of, as to whether they could be replaced. I'll check them as suggested and if they're fine will fit new cones. The rims are ok - they have only really been summer wheels so not too much wet braking.

If I replace them it will probably be with the new C17 Zondas as there are some good deals now. Either that or buy a really good set (Wheelsmith or similar) for the best bike and put my RS81 C35s on the n+1. Not that I'm looking for an excuse!! Cheers
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Harry182 wrote:

BTW - I've never heard of grinding cones before.

Your local machine shop,if you can find such a place,probably has not heard of it either.
  • hambini
    Cups and cones are effectively the bearing races. The surface finish they attain is from a process which involves grinding. In industrial applications, angular contact free bearings are still common place and they are refurbished by grinding the cones, cups and replacing the balls. The process is the same for wheels albeit on a smaller scale.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Local machining shop? Yeah, maybe in the 1920s there was such a thing... can you find me my local machining shop please? B91 is the postcode
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    hambini wrote:
    First result on google Wilco manufacturing.

So you are saying I walk into this multi millon pound business with my hub cones, hand them at the desk ad come back 3 days later to collect them and give them a tenner, right? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Cups&cones are very likely only surface hardened, so after grinding some cheese parts will last very little time.
    Waste of time&money...
  • Well the cups seem to be ok so I'm going to replace the cones (and bearings again) and see how it goes. SJS out of stock on a couple of parts (will likely just replace whole axle unit) and website says they're not due until August??! Anyone suggest any other reliable suppliers? Cheers
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Rosebikes often has small parts.
  • hambini
    hambini wrote:
    First result on google Wilco manufacturing.

So you are saying I walk into this multi millon pound business with my hub cones, hand them at the desk ad come back 3 days later to collect them and give them a tenner, right? :roll:

Yep, you would be surprised what engineering shops do. In my line of business, I frequently go to machining shops and one off jobs are very common. You see everything from Subaru cylinder heads to gravity racers.

Ref the surface hardening - I believe Shimano cup and cones are through hardened.
  • Keezx wrote:
    Rosebikes often has small parts.

Thanks will check them out
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10