Help on wheel choice

smmjrr
smmjrr Posts: 45
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
was all set to buy a set of American Classic 420 Areo wheels tomorrow, was in another LBS today and guy said for just a little more he could get Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon, or for a little more again Cosmic Carbone 40 Elite wheels, which he said were better wheels the American Classics, I am looking for any input as I am relatively new to cycling and am no expert, want to see if it worth paying the extra for the Mavics £100 more for the Pro Carbon and 350 more for the 40s would I be better sticking with the American Classics or are the Mavics a better wheel, would I notice the difference between the three sets? many thanks

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What wheels have you currently got and why are you looking to change them?
  • smmjrr
    Hi stock wheels that were on bike when I bought it last year, was reading up and wheels do not get great reviews, the bike is a Specialized Tarmac Expert LBS owner said there would be a noticeable difference if I changed to a better quality set, the wheels on my bike are Fulcrum Racing S-19 Light, thanks
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,698
    The best thing about the American Classics are the hubs. Granted they aren't going to be the best for year round use, but they are excellent products. Couldn't advise on bearing availability, but if you can get hold of them, the hubs are trivial to service.

Personally I'd go with the ACs over a wheel with a carbon fairing and aluminium brake track. You are getting basically the same benefit with the alu rims, but with less weight. As I recall the 420s also use standard spokes and nipples.

I have the other Mavics you are asking about. I went for them over full carbon clinchers because (a) I already had some full carbon clinchers and (b) I like the idea of an aluminium insert in those wheels. Third ride out on them I got a major pinch flat on a cattle grid and had to ride 4km on a flat front (there was some personal stupidity involved here in how I wasn't able to fix the flat). However, other than a 30 second re-trueing, the wheel is fine. I'm not convinced that a full carbon wheel would have been. So, they aren't quite as practical as an aluminium rim and I very much doubt that they are any more aero than the 420s. However, if you want the full carbon look, they are a good compromise. One thing you have to consider though is the Mavic only spokes and nipples that may or may not still be available in a few years.
  • smmjrr
    The best thing about the American Classics are the hubs. Granted they aren't going to be the best for year round use, but they are excellent products. Couldn't advise on bearing availability, but if you can get hold of them, the hubs are trivial to service.

Personally I'd go with the ACs over a wheel with a carbon fairing and aluminium brake track. You are getting basically the same benefit with the alu rims, but with less weight. As I recall the 420s also use standard spokes and nipples.

I have the other Mavics you are asking about. I went for them over full carbon clinchers because (a) I already had some full carbon clinchers and (b) I like the idea of an aluminium insert in those wheels. Third ride out on them I got a major pinch flat on a cattle grid and had to ride 4km on a flat front (there was some personal stupidity involved here in how I wasn't able to fix the flat). However, other than a 30 second re-trueing, the wheel is fine. I'm not convinced that a full carbon wheel would have been. So, they aren't quite as practical as an aluminium rim and I very much doubt that they are any more aero than the 420s. However, if you want the full carbon look, they are a good compromise. One thing you have to consider though is the Mavic only spokes and nipples that may or may not still be available in a few years.

hi many thanks for input you have cleared a few things up I appreciate the reply, probably go for the ACs will decided over weekend, many thanks Steve
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,698
    Good choice I think. I was very close to getting them myself.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Personally, I would get the Mavics. Their hubs are generally good and easy to service. Wheel rims are generally well regarded to.