Scott Solace disc - owner opinions?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Think I'm after a disc road bike able to take bigger tyres, after deciding I want a little more comfort than my trusty CR1 SL offers. Synapses and Domanes now seem to be out of reach after Brexit-related price hikes, so last years Scott Solace disc is now a contender.

Any views from owners or others who tried one before buying something else?

Cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• I love my Solace (rim brake version) and would buy another. It's kind of like 'Trigger's broom' in that I initially bought a 2015 Solace 30 (105), upgraded it to Ultegra and fitted Shimano C35 wheels. Last year I found a mark in the carbon under the lacquer on the seat stay and Scott immediately replaced the frame with the newer Solace 10 (black and red and much nicer than what I had fortunately).

I bought it due to back problems and have found it very comfortable with the higher head tube. As the marketing suggests, the frame really does smooth out rougher surfaces (some of the Scott pro teams use the HMX version for the cobbles at PR etc), especially with 25mm tyres but it was even good on 23s.

Mine also has full Fizik finishing kit now (carbon saddle/post and R1 stem and bars), so there's none of the original bike left. Its properly light and a joy to ride over several hours.

Hope this helps
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • luv2ride
    Thanks BD, glad to hear you like it. Comparing geometries between the Solace and my CR1 shows only a 9mm increase in headtube height, so given I currently run a 20mm cone spacer + 10mm spacer under my stem I reckon I can replicate the position exactly. All other dimensions seem to be pretty much the same. Given Scott's claimed increase in vertical compliance, but also in stiffness over the CR1 it does seem to be the ideal bike for me allowing the running of wider tyres. Only hesitation now is moving from Sram to Shimano (though guess I could change out to Rival or Force 22 at some point), and whether I really want discs (with the associated weight penalty) on the summer bike. Decisions, decisions....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Thanks BD, glad to hear you like it. Comparing geometries between the Solace and my CR1 shows only a 9mm increase in headtube height, so given I currently run a 20mm cone spacer + 10mm spacer under my stem I reckon I can replicate the position exactly. All other dimensions seem to be pretty much the same. Given Scott's claimed increase in vertical compliance, but also in stiffness over the CR1 it does seem to be the ideal bike for me allowing the running of wider tyres. Only hesitation now is moving from Sram to Shimano (though guess I could change out to Rival or Force 22 at some point), and whether I really want discs (with the associated weight penalty) on the summer bike. Decisions, decisions....

Meant to add - the frame has the comfort zone (upper thinner tubes) and the power zone (lower thicker tubes, including massively thick chain stays). I thought it was just marketing blurb but when climbing big hills you really do feel like the effort is going to the back wheel, compared to my Colnago at least.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    L2R - just pm'd you mate.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • giampi
    giampi Posts: 5
    http://m.bike-3.de/item/3136353139

Pretty good deal if you need either s or xxl frame size...
  • luv2ride
    Thanks for everyone's input. Plumped for the Solace 10 disc (2016 rollout) in the end from CycleDivision:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product ... -solace-10

Best price I could find, and probably the best value frame / component combo I could get given recent price hikes on 2017 bikes (plus the jury seems out how far they'll discount those this year). Also helps I really like the colour, but don't tell DB I might de-sticker those rims (he's already offered to "take them off my hands" several times already!)

Hopefully arriving Friday 8)