The science of flapjacks??

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited April 2017 in Road general
Anyone know how many carbs in an home made flapjack. A what size it should be. Sounds like an anal question but they work for me but don't want to overload on useless carbs. And any recipes

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    rob39 wrote:
    Anyone know how many carbs in an home made flapjack.

That depends on what you put in it and how big it is but probably the same as a shop one considering that a carb or Protien is 4cal/g and fat is 9cal/g and the ratios will be pretty similar between oats fat and sugar
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Add up the carbs in the ingredients, divide by the number of portions. Only water gets lost in cooking, so the calories/carbs all remain in the food.
  • mrfpb
    edited April 2017
    250g Butter
    150G Brown sugar
    60ml Golden syrup or honey

melt all the above together in pan until the whole mixture is clear

350g Oats
    150g - 200g of favourite dried fruit and/or nuts
    (3 chunks stem ginger in syrup
    1 teaspoon ginger powder)

Chop up dried fruit or nuts in a processor with the lumps of stem ginger, mix with the oats and ground ginger.

Mix in the butter/sugar mixture until no dry bits of the oat mixture remain

Put the mix in a baking tin about 30 x 20 cm and bake at 170 deg C for 40 mins

Apricot and ginger are a favourite in our house. Sometimes I go Christmassy and use raisins, cranberries, mixed peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. But cranberries as bought in the shop tend to be 50% added sugar to make them palatable, so not the healthiest option,
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    I use this recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/flapjacks_86993. I usually put dried fruit in instead of the lemon and ginger in the recipe, also only bake them for 35mins at 140 C, they come out wonderfully soft and caramelised which is just how I like them.
  • Looks healthy if you remove the Butter, Brown sugar & Golden syrup or honey
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Looks healthy if you remove the Butter, Brown sugar & Golden syrup or honey

dont forget the dried fruit
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I use this recipe.
    200g oats
    50g sugar
    50g butter
    Bit of vanilla extract

Heat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a pan. Tip in the oats and nix it together. Add a bit of water if it seems slightly dry.
    Pour into a container or box and stick it in the fridge for a few hours.
    Taste much more like the nice shop bought ones if you dont cook them.
    If I wanted something to taste really good but be terrible for me, I would add more sugar and fat like the first recipe.
  • mrfpb
    They are only bad for you if you don't use the energy!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Yeah food demonisation is retarded.

Butter is good for you, dietary cholesterol, good source of fat, Protien, salt .. all stuff your body needs.

Sugars .... highly accessible carb, ideal for quick intake

It's the excess that hurts you not the actual food ... just make sure you don't eat kg's of the stuff
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    mrfpb wrote:
    They are only bad for you if you don't use the energy!

tell that to your teeth!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • stanhill
    stanhill Posts: 5
    My wife made some yesterday. Very good indeed soft and sticky. Got honey in them what else I dont know. Shes a very god cook as well. :D :evil:
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb wrote:
    250g Butter
    150G Brown sugar
    60ml Golden syrup or honey

melt all the above together in pan until the whole mixture is clear

350g Oats
    150g - 200g of favourite dried fruit and/or nuts
    (3 chunks stem ginger in syrup
    1 teaspoon ginger powder)

Chop up dried fruit or nuts in a processor with the lumps of stem ginger, mix with the oats and ground ginger.

Mix in the butter/sugar mixture until no dry bits of the oat mixture remain

Put the mix in a baking tin about 30 x 20 cm and bake at 170 deg C for 40 mins

Apricot and ginger are a favourite in our house. Sometimes I go Christmassy and use raisins, cranberries, mixed peel, cinnamon and nutmeg. But cranberries as bought in the shop tend to be 50% added sugar to make them palatable, so not the healthiest option,

The Sciencey Bit:
    Portions per batch		
    12	    18	

356.7	237.8	kCal
    41.9	 28.0	Carbs
    23.8	 15.9	(sugars)
    18.6	 12.4	Fat
    11.1	 7.4	(sat)
    4.1	  2.7	Protein
    0.3	  0.2	Salt
    3.2	  2.2	Fibre

The calories are pretty much 50/50 fat and carbs.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    try adding the nuts as they can have useful minerals. Dried fruit can work as well. Flapjack is very good fuel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mrfpb
    try adding the nuts as they can have useful minerals. Dried fruit can work as well. Flapjack is very good fuel.

The figures I gave are for apricot flapjacks. Surprisingly the fruit didn't add much fibre- the oats have a higher fibre content. Most of the other recipes quoted here have less butter, so will get more energy from carbs.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Looks healthy if you remove the Butter, Brown sugar & Golden syrup or honey

dont forget the dried fruit

I wouldn't bother with the oats either.

The only downside I have found with flapjacks is that I can't eat them on the move or else I feel like I could choke. So a soft, squidgy recipe might be the very thing.
    Anyway, the local shops no longer stock Haribo Jelly men so it's time to start baking again.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Recipe I adapted from Winnipeg Cycle Chicks blog, been using them for a few years and find them very good. No baking involved and they keep for ages.

All measurements just rough. See what works for you.

500g peanut butter (crunchy is best)
    2 jars of agave syrup (500ml total)
    6 cups of porridge oats
    Bag of pistachios (150g or so)
    Bag of mixed nuts
    Bag of sunflower seeds (200g)
    Bag of pumpkin seeds (200g)
    Any other stuff you have lying around
    Almond essence if you fancy it
    4 scoops protein powder

Heat the peanut butter and agave syrup until it's pretty hot (nearly boiling). Mix it all up so the butter isn't in lumps.
    Mix up all the dry stuff in a large bowl

Gradually blend in the syrup/peanut butter mix into the dry with a strong wooden spoon
    Add more porridge if it's too sticky

Line a deep baking tray with baking parchment and press the mixture in. Will be an inch or so deep.
    Put more baking parchment on top and press it flat with your hands until it's solid, level and has no air in it.
    Put it in the fridge overnight then cut it into pieces the next day.
    Freeze the pieces and bring them with you when you need them. They'll defrost pretty quickly. If you don't freeze them you'll eat them all.