Skewer replacement.

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
After replacing the rear brake locks on my bike today - I had hell of game getting the wheel to align. After much head scratching I found that that skewer was holding the wheel. I would push the QR lever tight - but then it slowly sprung undone.

Anyway I want to go out tommorow so took the skewer from my giant defy and put the on my best bike, It seemed to lock in much better. a few questions:-

My best bike has xero wheels and skewers - will the one from the giant be safe to use on a short term basis

What skewer should I buy to replace the xero one (2009 ultegra groupset)

Do skewers wear out ? - granted its 8 years old - but Im not taking wheels on and off much ?

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Shimano/Campag internal cam QR's are my choice, not weight weenie though.
  • kingrollo
    would this be ok ? - how do know what size i need

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... 60632194uk
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I assume you know how to adjust a skewer so that it locks on properly?
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • kingrollo
    bbrap wrote:
    I assume you know how to adjust a skewer so that it locks on properly?

Well I haven't had any problems until today. but Im not proud if Im missing something Im all ears
    58585 Posts: 207
    I can recommend the planet X own brand ones for a couple of quid each.
    Generally it'll be 130mm for front and 135mm back for road bikes, but that depends on your bike/wheels.

Try disassembling and degreasing the old ones, and make sure you are not over-tightening them.

I've had a few cheapo quick releases give me problems, but never had issues with decent ones and expect they will last as long as the rims at least...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Anything with an internal cam. Basic one is Shimano Deore, you can spend more but they won't improve in terms of functionality
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    58585 wrote:
    I can recommend the planet X own brand ones for a couple of quid each.
    Generally it'll be 130mm for front and 135mm back for road bikes, but that depends on your bike/wheels.

Try disassembling and degreasing the old ones, and make sure you are not over-tightening them.

I've had a few cheapo quick releases give me problems, but never had issues with decent ones and expect they will last as long as the rims at least...

Road bikes are generally 100mm front and 130mm rear.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
    58585 Posts: 207
    I meant to write 100 front 135 rear...looks like you are right on 130 being more standard though