Road Bike short or 3/4 length tights?

bayhota
bayhota Posts: 40
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Anyone recommend a decent pair of shorts or 3/4 length tights, for long journeys?

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Anything by rapha or assos.

Or about a million other pairs of Bibs from all the main players - just cos it suits one doesn't mean it suits you, There are also other things to take in to consideration . Like budget.....

I wouldnt buy 3/4 either.

By shorts and leg/knee warmers. Much more practical.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Agree with the above, I use Rapha knee warmers, work fine. I only went Rapha for the knee warmers as got them with 20% off in the Flanders sale. Good piece of kit, but other makes are just as good.
    I also use bontrager leg warmers(sit mid calf on me). These are used a lot, anything between 6 and 12 degrees. Even sitting in them now after my afternoon ride.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    My Assos 3/4 Tiburus get worn for at least 6 months of the year. They will take you from zero degrees to around 15 degrees so pretty much all my riding from October to around now. I didn't wear full length tights at all this winter and have only worn shorts twice this year so far.

Much better than using knee warmers with shorts. Okay, not as flexible but when they are good for 6 months or so with nothing more or less added why would they need to be. If you've already got shorts then knee warmers are obviously cheaper but if you need more shorts or warmer shorts then for me it would be the 3/4s.
  • DeFeet "Kneekers", are very good
  • Just stick with cycling for 20 yrs and try everything and eventually you`ll find a pair that you love.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I love everything I have bought from Rapha. They can be a bit pricey, so watch for sales or end of styles.
    Damn I love 3/4 leg, but I might be alone in this camp, just makes sense for me in almost everything but the extremes ( under 20 F or about 85f ).
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Any of you shorts/warmer fans have any tips for knee warmers for those of us with legs more pipe cleaner than Chris Hoy?

I'm tempted by some 3/4 as fed up with my Specialized XSmall knee warmers inching their way down my puny thighs. Anyone got complaints theirs are far too tight and cut your blood supply off?
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I have som Lapassione winter weight 3/4s which get a lot of use and were a bargain in the sale at £60 shipped from Italy.
    I also have some Assos lighter weight 3/4s too (tk604s ?), had them about 4 years and find them very useful for not quite warm enough for shorts UK tempertures.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.