Cleaned bike, brakes now squealing!

musclebeach
musclebeach Posts: 116
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Oh god.....just gave the bikes a really good clean, muc off wash spray all over and a good scrub, good clean of the discs too, silicon nowhere near the brakes, might just be the damp evening air but both bikes seem to have squeaking brakes now.... it's one thing my Shimano M405's were always really good for as well....not being noisy!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Go ride through some mud and they'll probably stop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Find a long hill, ride to the top, ride down again and lightly drag the brakes the whole way down again, the heat generated will burn off any residue from the cleaning agents which is most likely causing the squealing.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Mine always squeal for the first couple of miles after a wash .... once they have dried it suddenly stops
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Oh god.....just gave the bikes a really good clean, muc off wash spray all over and a good scrub, good clean of the discs too, silicon nowhere near the brakes, might just be the damp evening air but both bikes seem to have squeaking brakes now.... it's one thing my Shimano M405's were always really good for as well....not being noisy!!

explains it all
  • musclebeach
    musclebeach Posts: 116
    Ahhh I've heard a few things about Muc-off, sounds like I need to invest in something else then, I'll check the forums....cheers!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For cleaning brakes, just rinse with water and leave them alone. 99.89789999855439987% (actual scientific fact - it's on the internet) of brake problems are caused by unecessary arseing around with brakes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above just ride hard for an hour braking hard. If they really are contaminated i use disc brake cleaner on rotor and also remove pads to clean. Spray and wipe with kitchen roll, once kitchen roll stays clean wipe dry, job done.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Nothing wrong with Muc-Off in my experience. I have been using it for years with no ill effects.
    Brakes sometimes squeal for a few minutes after a good clean but soon quieten down again.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    After washing my bike I just get some clean paper towel and wipe the discs gets rid of the water that makes the noise.
  • Like Kajjal, I use 'Muc Off' 'Disc Brake Cleaner' whenever I clean my bike. Take out the pads, spray them with the cleaner and leave them For a couple of minutes. Then rub them with a paper towel or as I prefer, a lint free cloth until clean. Then apply some cleaner to a paper towel or lint free cloth and clean around the rotors. This technique seems to fix any squeaking that I've ever had.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited October 2021

. You can also reposition the pad or the bike’s disc brake mount, or you can use a Truing Fork to help you fix the bent rotor into place. One reason bike brakes squeak loudly is lack of cleaning. x.

If you have a bent rotor ,buy a new one.
    Another far bigger reason disc brakes squeak is unnecessary cleaning, as Cooldad says above. If they are working OK leave them alone and keep any cleaning products away from them.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It's a 4-year old thread.
    Ignore jameswheeler7102's spam.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009