Chainset Swap

w00dster
w00dster Posts: 880
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi Guys,
I'm a complete noob when it comes to maintaining my bike, normally I take it into the LBS and the mechanic deals with it for me. I'd like to get a bit more hands on myself and the first job I'd like to undertake is to swap out my chainset.
Bike has Ultegra 6800 53/39 and I'm going to swap it for Dura Ace 9100 52/38. My chain is new and as I'm only going down one tooth on each I presume the chain doesn't need replacing? Bottom bracket is also brand new (BB90).
I've looked at the youtube video's for how to replace a shimano chainset and they make it look incredibly easy, a 2 minute job for the experts on the video.
What I can't figure out is what tools I'm going to need. The video calls one of the tools "a special plastic tool", this is for the removal of the plastic pre-load cap.
Any assistance on what I need would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    No you dont need to replace the chain.

All you need is a 5mm hex key. And a preload tool.

The preload tool is to tighten (finger tight) the plastic preload screw which is designed to remove any play between the crank arms and spindle, before tightening the 5mm hex bolts. And the preload tool is also used when removing the left crank arm too.

a poor mans choice for a preload tool is a simple bread knife. The plastic screw doesn't need to be very tight. Finger tight is sufficient. So a bread knife works fine.

But you can buy a preload tool like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crank-Arm-Cap ... Swvg9XX8Jc