Helmet and glasses for small head

bianchi_dave
bianchi_dave Posts: 932
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi All

In the market for a new helmet and shades but I have a small head and its always been a nightmare getting stuff that fits. For reference I'm about 56cm helmet size.

Helmet - Currently have a Rudy Sterling which has served me well but the ratchet is on the way out and its quite a dated design now. With such a small head its hard to find one that doesn't look like a mushroom! Top of wish list so far is the Kask Protone as its not too bulky and Wiggle have good prices on my colours. Does anyone (with a small head) have any experience of the MET Manta or Scott Cadence? as I like the look of both. Any other suggestions for pinheads??

Shades - Have a pair of Uvex Crow Pro (small) which have been perfect but the smoke lenses are needing replaced and I can't get replacements (tried Uvex UK who said to try CRC or Raleigh (distributors) but no luck anywhere as they're discontinued). Most shades look huuge on my noggin but I like the look of the Oakley EV Radar Path and the POC Do Half Blade. Anyone experience with either of them with a small head? Also found the Rudy Tralyx SX (small version) so again would be interested to hear any views (pardon the pun) on these or indeed any others which may be worth a look.

Before anyone says - I've no decent cycle shops anywhere near me (closest is about 40 miles and limited stock as you'd expect) so it would be a case of narrowing things down and ordering a few to try I think!

Cheers
Scott Foil RC
Scott Addict RC
Trek Emonda

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I got a small head as well .. amplified by me shaving it, so no hair to bulk it out

Kask Mojito for me .... no mushroomness at all .. best helmet I have ever owned
  • fat daddy wrote:
    I got a small head as well .. amplified by me shaving it, so no hair to bulk it out

Kask Mojito for me .... no mushroomness at all .. best helmet I have ever owned

Thanks for that, I'll have a look. I noticed they're much cheaper these days too!
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Hi, Oakley make some of their designs in "Asian" fit for smaller heads. Worth a google, I have seen these in shops in USA and presumably you could get them here but would need to find samples for sizing. Regards alan
  • Hi, Oakley make some of their designs in "Asian" fit for smaller heads. Worth a google, I have seen these in shops in USA and presumably you could get them here but would need to find samples for sizing. Regards alan
    Thanks Alan. I'd done a fair bit of online research on the Asian fit but also found Oakley do some models in XS. They describe this as 'youth fit' or for smaller heads/faces, whereas Asian fit seems to be for flatter faces and some models have less 'wrap' compared to their normal counterparts. My Uvex pair were described similarly to XS, so I've taken the plunge and ordered a pair of Radar EV XS Prism Road. Great price from Igero with free delivery and returns so if no use I can just order something else.
    Just need to decide on a helmet now!
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Hi, Oakley make some of their designs in "Asian" fit for smaller heads. Worth a google, I have seen these in shops in USA and presumably you could get them here but would need to find samples for sizing. Regards alan

I thought Asian fit was more about keeping the glasses on the bridge of the nose (Asian's typically have flatter noses) rather than the size of the head?