Is a Touring Bike best??

Tavish85
Tavish85 Posts: 36
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
Afternoon all,

Firstly I'm a 32 year old unfit bloke that weighs in at a staggering 140kg :shock: who is after a suitable bike for my current needs!

I'm going to be using the bike for the daily commute (12 mile round trip), general rides on my days off to help me lose weight & build up fitness. Also we do quite a bit of camping around the lake & peak districts so would like to take it with me on these trips to explore :)

After having a read up about all the different bikes I have come to the decision that a touring bike would quite possibly be my best option, purely due to it sounds like a bike that will fulfill my needs & are built of sterner stuff for someone of my current weight.

I do have the option of C2W via Halfords or Evans but I'm open to other shops if they offer 0% finance with a budget of £1000-£1500.

So really I'm asking if I'm going down the correct route of which bike to buy & if so which ones are the best on the market at the moment for my budget.

Comments

• Cotic Escapade.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    For such a big dude i actually would suggest an MTB, they have lower gears that is very useful if you want to make some climb, stronger frame and more relaxed position, so your belly will not be a problem.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    If you want to ride on the road then yes, a touring bike will probably be the first thing to look at.

Most of the big name manufacturers have touring bikes rated for at least 140kg, and many are rated for upwards of 150kg or even 160kg total weight. For example Giant Toughroad is rated for 160kg.

Most steel/alu frames are more than capable of the weight, your biggest issue will be the wheels. I used to chew through wheels until I learned to be more careful. Avoid kerbs of any height, don't try and bomb through speed humps and very importantly careful on the brakes, don't clamp down hard on them unless you really have to, that really helped me to keep my wheels in good shape.

For big chaps like us disc brakes are a must in my opinion. Especially if you do any kind of hills.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Yes, I think touring as well. Look for one with a low gear ratio (eg 28 lowest gear at the front, 32 biggest gear at the back) this will be essential for climbing hills in the Peak District. You may even prefer a flat bar hybrid. Test both to see which posture is easier for your build. Being in a drop position will limit your breathing, and this may be an issue, given your weight. If you can, test a bike over a decent distance before buying.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Yes as a heavy rider I found flat bars much more comfortable whilst I was getting my fitness up. Once I could do 30-40km on a flat bar it was time for me to upgrade to a road bar which for long distance is actually far better due to the numerous hand positions.