15 year hiatus - Now I'm back - WTF Happened?

smiths
smiths Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Really need some help.

In short - my mate gave me some decent rims and a few other bits he was getting rid of as he couldn't be arsed to sell, small bits like a saddle and a cool stem.

Great I thought, great excuse to buy frame from new and just build a bike up in the next few months for summer and get back into the MTB which I've wanted to do for a while now.

Wow and the world has changed! Now I haven't ridden since my Kona Caldera days.

So I look for frames and bits... Now there's "MTB" / trail frames with weird geometries (akin to what I would of called stunt/jump bike frames back when I was riding) 29 inch wheels, tapered forks... single crank gearing... And prices??? Prices seem to have come right down, people seem to be raving about £200 hardtail frames.

So I need some advice,

Can I just get a "normal" frame? Do I have to worry if it the geometry looks strange? Will it ride any different? Will it be uncomfortable? (Eg http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROO456E2/ ... evo2-frame)

And should I opt for what I would call traditional gearing? Eg 3 up front and 5 or six at back? Or is single gear front crank okay?

Are there any weird format sizes I need to be wary about? Or should most stuff bolt on?

Tapered forks and larger wheels I'm covered, I've done some research and think I get all that now.

I will be riding bridle paths, forests, common ground, bit of road to and from, nothing crazy. And Hardtail all the way.

Thanks in advance. So much!

Comments

• mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    In your case you might be better off just buying an already built up bike as it will possibly be cheaper than sourcing everything you need to build one yourself.

As for gearing, 5 and 6 speeds are long gone, its now 9,10 or 11speed. Single double and triple front chainrings are still all available and so which to get depends on how much climbing or steep work you will be doing.

You specified riding bridle paths, forests, common ground, bit of road etc and so I would recommend you buy a 29er from the classifieds/eBay etc You can buy a year or two old quality bike for around the £400-500 mark which will be more than ideal for your needs. For you to source a frame, fork, groupset, brakes, cables, hyrdraulic lines etc etc would probably end up costing considerably more than what the bike will be worth when built.

As an example, I bought a Cube LTD Race 29er last September, it was a 1 yr old bike that had less than 50 miles on it. The price new (with on line discounts) was £900-1000 but I paid £400 for it. It has XT/SLX groupset and a fairly decent Manitou fork. There are good deals out there if your prepared to wait for the right bike to appear.
  • smiths
    smiths Posts: 3
    MugenSi wrote:
    In your case you might be better off just buying an already built up bike as it will possibly be cheaper than sourcing everything you need to build one yourself.

As for gearing, 5 and 6 speeds are long gone, its now 9,10 or 11speed. Single double and triple front chainrings are still all available and so which to get depends on how much climbing or steep work you will be doing.

You specified riding bridle paths, forests, common ground, bit of road etc and so I would recommend you buy a 29er from the classifieds/eBay etc You can buy a year or two old quality bike for around the £400-500 mark which will be more than ideal for your needs. For you to source a frame, fork, groupset, brakes, cables, hyrdraulic lines etc etc would probably end up costing considerably more than what the bike will be worth when built.

As an example, I bought a Cube LTD Race 29er last September, it was a 1 yr old bike that had less than 50 miles on it. The price new (with on line discounts) was £900-1000 but I paid £400 for it. It has XT/SLX groupset and a fairly decent Manitou fork. There are good deals out there if your prepared to wait for the right bike to appear.

Hi Mugen

Thanks very much for your reply, good insight.

I'd like to add, actually part of the build process for me will be part of the enjoyment, so cost is not really a problem and as much satisfaction will come from the build as well as the ride so I'd definitely like to go the DIY route.

Sorry I should of mentioned in the OT but I tried to cut it down to as least waffle as possible! :oops: :P
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a fairly heavy frame, designed ideally for 150mm forks, although it will work with shorter, hence the 456.

Probably overkill for what you want.

I'd look at one of these

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FROOPKV2DP ... wood-frame

Much easier to find tapered forks as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    Parkwood sounds perfect for you