Square taper BB

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Does anyone know how long a generic square taper BB should last? It's probably done no more than 2,000 miles but has been through all weather as it's the daily commuter but think the intermittent creaking is down to a borked BB. On removal is there anything on inspection that would suggest it's knackered? Don't want to replace it unnecessarily but can't help thinking it's the creaking culprit!
Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    ]It should last the age of the dinosaurs..
    When you remove it whats the state of the shell?
    Is it clean facing?
    BB_Figure_7-33.jpg
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,237
    Depends... some Shimano were very durable some others didn't last at all. Should last more than 2000 miles though... although wet weather and winter salt might kill it prematurely
    left the forum March 2023
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks, am going to strip the bike over the weekend to see if anything else could be causing creaking (definitely standing up pedalling under load related creak) so will check the shell but suspect it is not as clean as that picture!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have never had one die on me ..... I recently swapped out a square taper from my 1997 Klein ... it disintergrated as I tried to remove it, but was running fine
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    timbo_tim wrote:
    Thanks, am going to strip the bike over the weekend to see if anything else could be causing creaking (definitely standing up pedalling under load related creak) so will check the shell but suspect it is not as clean as that picture!

Seat pin maybe....was on mine a while back. The seat tube will be bending more when you're out of the saddle.

There's not much to look at on a cartridge square taper BB when it's removed. If it it's knackered then it's a replacement job.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The Campag Mirage square taper BB on my Mercian lasted 14 years and north of 10,000miles before I swapped it out when selling the bike 7 years ago. Not really convinced that it was shot at the time but wanted to present the bike in the best light when selling.

New square taper BB's are cheap so not a huge outlay as a trial to sort out your creaking issues. However with only 2000 miles on your current BB, I'd be looking at other things to diagnose the creaking.

Two possibilities to eliminate are pedals and stem (either steerer or handlebar clamp or both)
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Intermittent creaking on square taper always raises the suspicion of a crankbolt (likely left) has worked loose.
    Check the bolt first, if it's not tight, remove and put threadlock on, and retorque.
  • timbo_tim
    Thanks all, I didn't want to turn this into a "work out my creak" but its more of a metallic "clicking" (if I didn't know better its like an amplified version of the noise you expect a cable end to make when hitting an Alu frame!) than a creak so I doubt (but will check) its a stem / handlebar interface issue. Will try the others and see how I get on but also having read on the "bargains" thread about failing Khamsin wheels it could be the rear wheel too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could be spokes. I'had a similar noise recently I couldn't trace, then a bit of creaking and a spoke went each of the laast few rides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools