Specialized Roubaix - S-Works or not?

Mathelo
Mathelo Posts: 14
edited March 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new 2017 Specialized Roubaix. I'm most likely going with an Expert Di2 but I'm wondering if the S-Works frame is a worthwhile upgrade. I currently ride a Felt Z2.

I wouldn't consider myself competitive, other than in a friendly group ride, but I do try to get a couple of hundred miles in a week. I'm 63, weigh 160 lbs, with a current FTP of 180.

I'm focused on the improved comfort the 2017 Roubaix should give me but everything I read says the S-Works will be stiffer. Cost aside, would I be disappointed with the S-Works frame over the standard frame?

Thanks!

Louis

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    It seems to me this will be an "if only" situation if you don't get the S Works. Please don't take this the wrong way but at the age of 63 you may not got the opportunity to buy a high end road bike again. My advice, if you have the money go for the S Works, you'll only spend your time riding wishing you were on an S Works if not.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I echo the above .... treat yourself, I have a 2007 s-works Roubaix and the carbon on it is now what they are using on the low end Tarmacs .... the bike is now aged and nothing impressive about it compared to todays rides, yet, there is something about it that is special to ride ... probably thestickers to be honest and the knowledge that once it was at the top of its form.

you probably wont benefit from the performance, but that doesnt matter, when you ride it you will be glad you went for the best and you are not riding a compromise
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Louis

"Be thrifty until you're fifty then spend till the end"

It's not about performance, it's about smiles per mile and riding that bike will have you grinning like a loon.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • No its not worth it, put the money to having more experiences on the bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    No its not worth it, put the money to having more experiences on the bike

It's not a binary answer. You can do both :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    I've spent some time on both a zertz era Roubaix and the new one and have to say I preferred the older one.

I just didn't like the bobbing effect of the head spring, have you ridden one yet?
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What is the price difference ?
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I'd echo the sentiment of buy it while you can enjoy it ... At your age you'll know how to appreciate what you have so why not buy the best you can afford and appreciate it that little bit more ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Slowmart wrote:
    Louis

"Be thrifty until you're fifty then spend till the end"

It's not about performance, it's about smiles per mile and riding that bike will have you grinning like a loon.
    Well said
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    No its not worth it, put the money to having more experiences on the bike

And what on earth is that supposed to mean!? :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    With the savings take the bike to the Alps or somewhere Sunny ? Its the stuff that I remember certainly - climbing the Alpe for the first time - I don't remember the groupset I was on - just the day. Awesome.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    To be fair I did get a bit of a kick out of riding a ProTour frame when I got my Look 585 a few years back so I can see the argument to buy the S Works. At the same time I get the argument that memories are made of doing things not owning things and most of us probably are guilty of spending too much on buying stuff rather than doing stuff.

The answer has to be get into debt, buy the S Works and book a trip to the Alps.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mathelo
    Guys,

Thanks for the interesting responses but I must say no one actually answered my key question. I guess I didn't phrase it well. :?

Restating it here:

I'm focused on the improved comfort the 2017 Roubaix should give me but everything I read says the S-Works will be stiffer. Cost aside, would I be disappointed with the S-Works frame over the standard frame from a comfort perspective?

I can afford the S-Works but I don't want it to be a counterproductive upgrade. If the S-Works frame is stiffer than the regular frame, seems to me that means the ride will be stiffer unless Specialize has effectively isolated the stiffness. Am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks again.

Louis
  • Mathelo
    Matt_N wrote:
    I've spent some time on both a zertz era Roubaix and the new one and have to say I preferred the older one.

I just didn't like the bobbing effect of the head spring, have you ridden one yet?

I did a test ride last weekend. I did not notice any bobbing. They told me it had the medium weight spring installed. If anything, it was stiffer than i was expecting but they over inflated the tires.

Louis
  • Mathelo
    cougie wrote:
    What is the price difference ?

About USD 1,200
  • There will likely be no discernible difference between the standard frame and the S works. I have a Tarmac and have ridden both models and aside from a slightly different grade of carbon which results in a slightly lighter bike (a few grams) there is nothing in it. I would imagine the Roubaix will be a similar proposition, highly unlikely it (s works) will be noticeably stiffer.
  • Mathelo
    There will likely be no discernible difference between the standard frame and the S works. I have a Tarmac and have ridden both models and aside from a slightly different grade of carbon which results in a slightly lighter bike (a few grams) there is nothing in it. I would imagine the Roubaix will be a similar proposition, highly unlikely it (s works) will be noticeably stiffer.

Thanks for that. So it really just comes down to whether I want to splurge for the S-Works logo and the ego trip it might give me. I do prefer the color choice, red on black of the S-Works versus the charcoal on black of the Expert, but that difference is hardly worth USD 1,200. And the cost would likely be higher since I'd have to build this up from components.

Louis
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    In answer to your original question, I also doubt very much if there will be any noticeable difference between the two frame sets in respect of comfort. I suspect wheel and tyre combinations would have a more significant impact. Not sure if you are planning on buying frame only or complete bikes. Shallow as this may sound, I think the look is a larger factor - some colour schemes look much better than others and will provide a better incentive to get out on the road!

A little left field perhaps, but I thought worth posing the question. A pal recently bought a Seven titanium framed/ carbon forked bike to supplement his Spesh Tarmac S Works. He absolutely raves about the comfort and it is not a heavy bike. I'd be tempted to go a little away from the big boys if I were in your shoes (which of course I'm not!!).

Peter
  • Mathelo
    northpole wrote:
    A pal recently bought a Seven titanium framed/ carbon forked bike to supplement his Spesh Tarmac S Works. He absolutely raves about the comfort and it is not a heavy bike. I'd be tempted to go a little away from the big boys if I were in your shoes (which of course I'm not!!).

Peter

Interesting. I ride with a guy that is singing the same praises of the Seven titanium. May be worth checking out.

Louis
  • Mathelo
    northpole wrote:
    In answer to your original question, I also doubt very much if there will be any noticeable difference between the two frame sets in respect of comfort. I suspect wheel and tyre combinations would have a more significant impact. Not sure if you are planning on buying frame only or complete bikes. Shallow as this may sound, I think the look is a larger factor - some colour schemes look much better than others and will provide a better incentive to get out on the road!

Peter

The simplest approach is to buy a complete bike but I'll be making changes right from the start beginning with the wheel set. Like you say, that makes the biggest difference for comfort. So building the bike from components remains a possibility and would be the case if I decide to go the S-Works route.
  • Just to throw in a curveball, are you set on Specialized? If not why not look at the Trek Domane SLR where you can tune the feel? I test rode both and equally excellent bikes with slightly different feels.
  • Gouldy-89
    Gouldy-89 Posts: 49
    Think of the moment when you meet someone who had got the s works and you hadn't..... If cost truly is no problem (and no comfort difference as mentioned above), would you be gutted or not?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Without wanting to appear.......disrespectful :)

With an FTP of 180 you are unlikely to benefit from the improved stiffness of the S-works so save the money and get the Expert

With northpole Peter on the thread I'd suggest spending it on Naim......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Mathelo
    Svetty wrote:
    Without wanting to appear.......disrespectful :)

With an FTP of 180 you are unlikely to benefit from the improved stiffness of the S-works so save the money and get the Expert

With northpole Peter on the thread I'd suggest spending it on Naim......

No disrespect taken. That's why I shared the FTP.
  • Mathelo
    Gouldy-89 wrote:
    Think of the moment when you meet someone who had got the s works and you hadn't..... If cost truly is no problem (and no comfort difference as mentioned above), would you be gutted or not?

At the same time, their are many riders that will look at me and say, "what a waste of money." :roll:

Given my FTP and all. :lol:
  • ROADEAGL
    ROADEAGL Posts: 1
    I've been chewing on the same question as Math. If one is looking for a more comfortable frame as the first criterion and the S-Works Roubaix touts itself as STIFFER than the lower end models, why is that a plus? When did stiffness mean more comfort? It appears they have three different grade frames in the line, which they tag 9r, 10r, and 12r [stiffest] in the S-works. The 12r is reportedly 150 grams lighter than the 10r. Of course, it is near impossible to get an objective measure of the differences.
    So, I went to my LBS and rode one. It is really...different. I've not yet decided better or worse but different for sure. Sucks up the bumps [+] but bobs when you get up on the pedals [-]. My advice is ride one.