Hybrid Bike- Posture and Sizing

WillMedic
WillMedic Posts: 26
edited April 2017 in Commuting general
Recently purchased a 21 inch Carrera Crossfire 2 (2016) for daily commuting around the hilly streets of Plymouth and carrying my 2 year old from time to time. Am 5ft 11.5 (182 cm) and 96 kg with pretty chunky legs. Prior to purchase I did try some hybrids of other manufacturers (primarily 19 and 20 inch Trek hybrids but felt generally constrained somewhat when pedalling. There is a lot I really love about the bike I bought, the pedalling is effortless with a feeling of real responsiveness to power (have the seat raised to the point where I can just touch the ground with my toes enough to stabilise the bike) and the large frame is unperturbed by hefty panniers or children on the back. It is seriously stable downhill.

I just have a nagging feeling that I have gone too large with the sizing. People say hybrid posture should be like sitting in an armchair, though in the current state the handlebars are a touch lower than the seat and I probably am tilted forward to a degree, having to lift my head upwards a touch to see the horizon. I can sit upright on it but at that point I would be barely touching the handlebars with my fingertips. I am therefore slightly worried that it may cause neck strain in the long term. However maybe that can be alleviated by altering the saddle tilt and adding an extra spacer or two to the handlebar stem (if at all possible?)

Anyone else ride a hybrid without a completely upright posture? Or am I just a sucker for not going for the smaller size?

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    WillMedic wrote:
    Recently purchased a 21 inch Carrera Crossfire 2 (2016) for daily commuting around the hilly streets of Plymouth and carrying my 2 year old from time to time. Am 5ft 11.5 (182 cm) and 96 kg with pretty chunky legs. Prior to purchase I did try some hybrids of other manufacturers (primarily 19 and 20 inch Trek hybrids but felt generally constrained somewhat when pedalling. There is a lot I really love about the bike I bought, the pedalling is effortless with a feeling of real responsiveness to power (have the seat raised to the point where I can just touch the ground with my toes enough to stabilise the bike) and the large frame is unperturbed by hefty panniers or children on the back. It is seriously stable downhill.

I just have a nagging feeling that I have gone too large with the sizing. People say hybrid posture should be like sitting in an armchair, though in the current state the handlebars are a touch lower than the seat and I probably am tilted forward to a degree, having to lift my head upwards a touch to see the horizon. I can sit upright on it but at that point I would be barely touching the handlebars with my fingertips. I am therefore slightly worried that it may cause neck strain in the long term. However maybe that can be alleviated by altering the saddle tilt and adding an extra spacer or two to the handlebar stem (if at all possible?)

Anyone else ride a hybrid without a completely upright posture? Or am I just a sucker for not going for the smaller size?

My MTB/Hybrids handlebars are way way lower than the saddle and as far forward and low as it is possible to get. My riding is low with back flexed, elbows down and flexed , and head needing to be tipped up. It's more fun that way - you have greater control, and far less air-resistance.

If you are riding much then a bike fit might be a good idea - but that is (for me at least) to do with the knees rather than anything else. If you are not really piling up the miles then google the various methods to work out seat height and go with which ever one feels best after a few rides. I am exactly the same height as you (and inside leg 33.5'') and have the saddle 80.5cm from the centre of the bottom bracket (the axis around which the pedals, cranks and chain ring rotate (in a straight line from bottom bracket centre along line of seat post to point where that line would cross top of saddle

In general terms - ride with what feels best

this is my hybrid set-up and the MTB is a little more extreme now (the stem is 110mm rather than 90)

26141282982_d326cc2036_b.jpg
  • WillMedic
    Thanks that was really helpful. I certainly have zero problems from a knee/lower back perspective, I love the way I can power through with no hip rock and not even have to get out of the saddle for steep hills. My only concern is whether I'm a bit too stretched on the large frame, I can still flex my elbows to a degree when hands on handlebar but not to an enormous amount. Will probably ask Halfords to experiment with handlebar height when I take it in for the 6 week check.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's unusual to be able to touch the ground at all with the saddle at the right height for pedalling, your leg should be near enough but not quite straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Put the saddle at the right height and you may get to the right riding position.

Hybrids span a wide range of bikes, to suggest their is one posture is frankly rubbish.

My hybrid with a far from upright riding position!
    DD8A1C87-CF51-413D-92EE-760293E0B6E4_zpspxhjrhaw.jpg
    Hip rock comes from a saddle being too high, with it too low you don't get anyway, so no hip rock doesn't mean it's right, you'll climb better with the saddle at the right height!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WillMedic
    Thanks for your help, I'm beginning to realise now that upright may not necessarily be best! Not sure I can put the saddle much higher without falling off the bike (it is v much just my toes touching the ground when pointed towards it when stationary) but I will have another check. Felt more at home with the bike today with minimal neck or shoulder twinges so it may just be a case of getting used to it. Will hold fire on the adjustments for now.
  • The Rookie
    You don't stop sitting in the saddle, you leave one foot on a pedal, slide forward off the saddle and put the other foot down while you straddle the crossbar/top tube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WillMedic
    Cheers, have managed to put the saddle up a bit, I think I was a bit put off doing that by the stand over height being a bit marginal. However as the saddle height goes up it goes back a bit too so the angled top bar becomes easier to stand over regularly. Just need to practice getting the pedals well positioned in advance of me stopping so I can push off to get going again on the pedal without the other foot being able to help by pushing from the ground.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    WillMedic wrote:
    Recently purchased a 21 inch Carrera Crossfire 2 (2016) for daily commuting around the hilly streets of Plymouth and carrying my 2 year old from time to time. Am 5ft 11.5 (182 cm)

You've possibly bought the wrong size (not that this will help you now), based on their size chart the 19" - 20" size would have been a better fit than the 20"-21". This might explain the step over height issue. If there's a way to exchange sizes, I would suggest speaking to the shop. If not, then enjoy it and if you can make it comfortable for you then it doesn't matter.

As for saddle height, there are some good guides on the internet for setting the height. The simplest is that when sat on the saddle with a pedal at the lowest point, your heel should just about touch it. That being said, as you get used to the bike and build up confidence, do set it a bit lower and raise it over time.

As others have said, hybrids can have very low and aggressive front ends and don't need to be armchair upright. It depends what you want from the bike.
  • WillMedic
    Joshgav wrote:
    You've possibly bought the wrong size (not that this will help you now), based on their size chart the 19" - 20" size would have been a better fit than the 20"-21". This might explain the step over height issue.

Possibly. I think my natural size is 20" so if I had gone for a Carerra Subway 2 with a 20" frame that would have been better.

Having said that I seem to have found a comfortable position at last. Not getting any neck ache. Saddle maybe a touch lower than recommended (the end of my trainers when pointed vertically at the ground can just about touch it) but because of the length and size of the bike I feel that I can get plenty of power through the pedals without straining anything or locking the knees. It wasn't just the stand over, I felt just generally uncomfortably stretched below the waist with the saddle higher.
  • The Rookie
    The nominal size of a bike is just about the least meaningful dimension, what matters is the cockpit length.

Someone of the same height but shorter legs needs a bigger frame to get the right cockpit length, I'm used to having little or no Standover as I have short legs (29") for my height (5' 9.5"), my bike (in post above) is a large frame to get it long enough.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    I went a size smaller (than the size guide suggested) on my hybrid (purchased used) and then fitted a longer stem, the idea was to keep the top tube nice and low to make it much more nippy in and around traffic, BUT it does feel small and a bit too twitchy at higher speeds, I don't see as much traffic as i'd been expecting....... I change my mind every week or so, one week it's great, the next week it feels too small :(
  • WillMedic
    MOARspeed wrote:
    I went a size smaller (than the size guide suggested) ....BUT it does feel small and a bit too twitchy at higher speeds, I don't see as much traffic as i'd been expecting....... I change my mind every week or so, one week it's great, the next week it feels too small :(

Glad am not the only indecisive one! You do describe well what I was worried about going to small. At least I always feel stable when going downhill at higher speeds!