Is a 54cm CAAD 8 frame too big for me?

phospho123
phospho123 Posts: 32
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
I have ridden a 20" bike as my last bike but that was on the smaller side. I am looking for a new bike and have found an offer for a 54cm caad8 with shimano 105 for £300 which seems like a good deal to me... Just worried about the fit? I went to a bike shop and the guy recommended a 52cm, but he also said CAAD frames are usually smaller which I don't think is true. I have measured my "cycling" inseam and it's about 31.5" or 80cm and I am 172cm flat.

What do you guys think? Been looking for bikes for a while now and just want something asap!

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    i am 180 and i drive orbea avant 53 size, i am pretty sure that is big for you, but again why dont you check on cannondale's sizing?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I'm 175cm and ride a 55cm Cannondale Six13 with a 110mm stem. hth
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    try it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm 173 CMs and rode a 51cm CAAD. You need to try it and see for yourself, but my initial thoughts are you would want the smaller frame.
    I'm not particularly flexible though so prefer the smaller frame.
  • I'm about the same height as you and ride a 51cm caad 8, I think I would be too stretched out on a 54.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    By the way the golden rule is if you are between 2 sizes always go with the smaller, you can make adjustments if needed like a longer stem etc, but if the frame is bigger than your needs you got stuck, you cant do anything.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The answer is yes, probably