Something strange about The Plug iii

Holm
Holm Posts: 9
edited April 2017 in Tour & expedition
So, I am going on a 6months trip in europe by bike. And decided to invest in Tout Terrain The Plug III/son dynamo hub.

Now i tested abit around with some of my devices and how it handled the charging. (f.eks. my android phone could not get charged from it, the plug just kept "blinking" = trying to restart until enough power)

No worries, then i tried to charge a battery bank with small solar panels on it.
This is where i got confused if it really could be real? When i had it charging at the same time as charging with the solar panels(exposing it the the sunlight), then i could go on MUCH lower speeds and the plug iii would just keep charging(no blinking, just green light), like really slow. i would say 5-6km/hour. When i putted it down the bag again i had to go up on speed again(somwhere around 11-12km).

Can it really be the case that it allows to get charged at much lower speed because it also gets charged from the sunlight aswel? I did get confirmed that it is possible to charge from "both ends" at the same time, so my theory is now, that the sunlight compensates much lower speeds, so the battery still allows the charging from my bike. but i am no techician at all.

Anyone got experience with this? It suprised me a little but is very cool if it really is the case. I could charge even going up steep hills. (if it actually really still charged).