Best Wheelset upgrade

Iamthemarkus
Iamthemarkus Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello

My current road bike is the boardman road ltd (black/yellow) here http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/boardman-extends-range-time-christmas-141191

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-sport-limited-edition-2014-black

Wheelset: Mavic CXP-22 Rims on 28/32 Hole Quick Release Hubs
Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro 700c x 25c
Frame: 53''

I cycle on the roads regularly including the occasional duathalon/triathlon.

I'm looking at upgrading the wheelset/tires and thought something along the 300 budget.
Looking for some solid recommendations and any ones to avoid.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Get the Hunt Four Season Aero v2
  • After researching the 3 major wheels at the same price-point last year - Fulcrum Racing 3, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and the Zondas, I went for the Zondas. I replaced the stock Mavic Aksiums that came with my ride and had buckled after 7000KM of London commuting.

The difference was significant, not only the stiffness but they freewheel like a dream and are smooth as butter. The hubs make a distinctive high pitched sound like a swarm of angry bees. They feel responsive when you stand on the pedals, and because the spokes are stainless steel the Zondas ride well too. They are fantastic for road riding and are built to be sturdy, I weigh just over 80 kgs and after almost 5,000 kms I have not had any reliability problems nor have they needed to be trued.
  • After researching the 3 major wheels at the same price-point last year - Fulcrum Racing 3, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and the Zondas, I went for the Zondas. I replaced the stock Mavic Aksiums that came with my ride and had buckled after 7000KM of London commuting.

The difference was significant, not only the stiffness but they freewheel like a dream and are smooth as butter. The hubs make a distinctive high pitched sound like a swarm of angry bees. They feel responsive when you stand on the pedals, and because the spokes are stainless steel the Zondas ride well too. They are fantastic for road riding and are built to be sturdy, I weigh just over 80 kgs and after almost 5,000 kms I have not had any reliability problems nor have they needed to be trued.

Do you have a link to the Zondas that you bought?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I previously owned the old model Zondas and thought they'd be hard to beat as a robust, fast and reasonably light wheel for the money. Having just spent similar money on a set of Borg 31 tubeless from Cycle Clinic I can only say, the Borgs do everything better. Admittedly I splurged another 100 quid on a set of IRC Formula Pro tyres which bumped the price up significantly but if the Borgs are the best wheels I've ridden, then the IRC are also the best tyres as well, certainly in terms of how they roll, how they corner and grip and the comfort they offer. Too early to tell on longevity etc. The Borgs lose out on weight (I got the heavy rider option laced with extra spokes) but it's totally unnoticeable. If you get the Zondas you will have a great wheelset but in my experience the Borgs are that bit better but with the bonus of being easily repaired and rebuildable with a ready supply of cheap spares. Admittedly I haven't​ tested the new wider Zondas though.