Fairy Visit

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited April 2017 in Commuting chat
I punctured at 6.30am this morning, on the lanes, 1 mile from work. Not normally worthy of a post but having looked at my records my last commuting puncture was over 6000 miles ago so thought worth a mention.

Took a chance and shoved in some gas and jumped back on, managed 1/2 a mile or so before it was deflated again so trundled in riding on a flat. Couldn't be ar$ed to change it roadside so will stick a new tube in sometime during the day.

I've always run Marathon Plus's on the rear but 6 months ago changed to run the same front and back...Durano's. If I was on Marathon's it probably wouldn't have happened but the difference in the feel of the tyre is worth the risk.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not yet punctured while riding, both times I have had a flat I only found it was punctured when returning to the bike at work.

About 8,000 miles in total, the second puncture was me chancing my luck with a tyre well overdue to be replaced.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • essex-commuter
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not yet punctured while riding,

Braver man that me posting that! :D
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not yet punctured while riding,

Braver man that me posting that! :D

Yeah, you're f*&$ed now. Cue massive both wheel blowout at speed. Whist dodging kamikaze badgers. On a road covered with marbles.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • essex-commuter
    And I punctured again this morning...in exactly the same spot (same location I mean, not same part of innertube!).

I found and removed the offending piece of flint when I put a new tube in yesterday, I then road home last night and in this morning so done 16 miles before it punctured again. So must be debris on the road (didn't see anything), or a coincidence?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Indian burial ground ?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    And I punctured again this morning...in exactly the same spot (same location I mean, not same part of innertube!).

I found and removed the offending piece of flint when I put a new tube in yesterday, I then road home last night and in this morning so done 16 miles before it punctured again. So must be debris on the road (didn't see anything), or a coincidence?
    After removing the piece of flint, what did you do with it?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I find punctures utterly random. Last year I had 2 sidewall cuts resulting in blowouts in virtually brand new tyres. Nothing like that in the previous 9 years. Some years I seem to get just pinch flats from potholes or road debris, other times it's thorns or flints. Many years I don't puncture at all.
  • essex-commuter
    TGOTB wrote:
    After removing the piece of flint, what did you do with it?

Can't recall exactly (!) but would have thrown it to the ground (had pulled off the road onto a gravel drive to repair it). I didn't ride over it as I walked the bike to the tarmac before getting on.....suppose a one in a thousand chance I tossed it into my tyre that was laying on the ground :D
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Ah, but did you throw the flint onto the road, fix the puncture, ride to work, home etc, and then ride over the same bit of flint again this morning? :twisted:

I always throw them into the verge just to be sure :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • essex-commuter
    TGOTB wrote:
    Ah, but did you throw the flint onto the road, fix the puncture, ride to work, home etc, and then ride over the same bit of flint again this morning? :twisted:

I always throw them into the verge just to be sure :-)

Nope I was a good 10 metres away from the road when I pulled it out (ooerr Mrs). But to make sure, if it happens again...I'll eat it. :idea:

I try not to keep making sexual double entendres but I find it hard. :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    as stated before you've royally fecked yourself now, you'll have someway to go to beat my 50 in a year.

NEVER mention the PF NEVER!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • essex-commuter
    And it happened again on the way home, 3 in 2 days. Must be something embedded in the tyre...I spent 10 minutes checking it this time, could see anything at all. Had it with punctures this week.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ditch the tyre, tube, rim tape and wheel - just to be on the safe side ...
  • essex-commuter
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ditch the tyre, tube, rim tape and wheel - just to be on the safe side ...

N+1 to be honest....
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Must be something embedded in the tyre...

You can keep telling yourself this but it will only make her angrier.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • essex-commuter
    Dick splashes the lot of ya, no help at all! :mrgreen:
  • itboffin
    MrSweary wrote:
    Must be something embedded in the tyre...

You can keep telling yourself this but it will only make her angrier.

^this^

BIG TIME :twisted: :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    trundled in riding on a flat.
    I did that.............once.
    The next day, the sidewall blew out, having been worn by the rim :(
  • essex-commuter
    itboffin wrote:

BIG TIME :twisted: :lol:

Feck off and choke on yer Easter eggs!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I'm sure someone posted the other day, that they only found the flint/glass/thorn, after turning the tyre inside out, and bending it the "wrong" way
  • essex-commuter
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I'm sure someone posted the other day, that they only found the flint/glass/thorn, after turning the tyre inside out, and bending it the "wrong" way

I done that out on the road after puncture number 3. Will take it off over the weekend when I can be bothered and go round it with a fine tooth comb. Tyre is only 4 months old so don't really want to ditch it.
  • itboffin
    take a bit of cotton wool and run it around the inside a few times

if that doesnt work offerings to the gods of the PF seem to work
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    It's a bit ocd but if you always fit your tyre as per the Rules (makers mark opposite the valve) and mark one side of your inner tube If they don't have some form of branding on just one side) then you can narrow down the part of the tyre to inspect - even after you have got home and forgotten exactly where you decided the tyre was pierced. Searching four or five inches of tyre rather than the whole loop means you can be careful and find the glass/flint
  • essex-commuter
    I think I found it. Turned the tyre inside out and went round inch by inch inspecting every little imperfection with a sharp point. Come across a barely visible mark and when I prodded it I heard the sound of glass against metal. Further probing around and I dug out small slithers of glass hidden under the slit which had closed over the top. No sound when I had finished but put a patch over it just to be sure.

Fingers crossed.
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    Had this once, the offending item could only be found when under pressure and flexed and I heard pfffftttt. When tube out and checking the tyre the flint was absorbed into the tyre, hidden and could not be felt.

Had to closely check the outside and also invert the tyre so that said offending bugger was forced to show itself.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have solid tyres on my commuting bike. They're heavy and squirrely, but at least I can ride over broken glass with impunity. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)