Hope pro 4 spoke count

wayne17
wayne17 Posts: 32
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi all
I'm going to build a new set of disc brake wheels for my winter/ wet weather bike I'm thinking hope pro 4 hubs, dt Swiss rr511 db rims and dt competition spokes. I weigh about 88kg which spoke count would suit best 28/28 3x or 32/32 3x. I've heard that the dt rims are strong so don't know if 32/32 would be overkill? Bike is a boardman cx team only used on road.

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    28 spoke will be fine if you're just on the road. 32 is just adding weight.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I disagree... there are a number of reasons to go 32... firstly you are not that light, infact (sorry) you are heavy, secondly the availablity of rims with 32 holes is larger than lower counts. If you are concerned about weight, use lighter spokes. 32 Sapim D-light weigh less than 28 Sapim Race and build a better wheel. Lowering the number of spokes is always a losing strategy.... using lighter spokes is a better strategy
    left the forum March 2023
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Pff, 88kg for a road rider doesn't require a 32 spoke wheelset. If he was touring or doing a load of cycle path work then yeah why not.
    Not looking to go into the ins and outs of it namely because it doesn't interest me, however I know people who are well over 90kg on much lower spoke count wheels with no problems.
  • wayne17
    Thanks for both of your views. Will probably just go with 32 hole. May even just go with Novatec d711/712 hubs as these are 90g lighter. But I have a set of hope rs hubs on my road bike and love em. Decisions,decisions.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    wayne17 wrote:
    May even just go with Novatec d711/712 hubs as these are 90g lighter.

False economy for the sake of 90gms. Novatec hubs are OK but if you can afford them I would choose the Hope's over the Novatec all day long.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Agree, Hope are better
  • ugo.santalucia
    Mike wrote:
    Pff, 88kg for a road rider doesn't require a 32 spoke wheelset. If he was touring or doing a load of cycle path work then yeah why not.
    Not looking to go into the ins and outs of it namely because it doesn't interest me, however I know people who are well over 90kg on much lower spoke count wheels with no problems.

As I said, you can build lighter with 32... 28 D-light will be underbuilt for him and 28 Race will be heavier than 32 D-Light.

Spokes is not a case of the least the better, but the opposite... thinking "I can get away with 4/8 fewer" is planning for failure...
    Not interested in weight, but in aerodynamics? I've just done a range of PB downhill on a set of 36 spoke wheels, so even on that front, not something worth scrimping on... :roll:
  • wayne17
    Many thanks for your advice,Will stick with hope and 32 spokes.