Road Bike (spec allez e5) or Hybrid (Trek FX 3) for Commuting and Fun

Cuclain
Cuclain Posts: 2
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone,

i need some advice. I have been thinking about this for quite some time and can't realy decide.
Okay here is the Problem: My Head tells me get the Hybrid. My Hearts says get the road bike.

I need a good bike to get around city. Its 90% of my daily transportation. To work, to university, etc. But i also want to get more into hobby cyling on the weekends etc. I live in an Austrian City, which has lots of bike lanes but also quite a few curbstones. I think thiefs would be more interested in the road bike (bike thiefs are a big problem here). Also all my friends have MTBs so they prefer not to ride on the street etc. Thats why i think the road bike could be a poor choice. For riding solo in my freetime i think i would enjoy the road bike much more. I inherited a road bike from my grandpa which i now use as my goto bike. Its so much fun to feel so light and so fast on the street. Also i kind of enjoy the thought that i share a hobby with my grandpa. That inherited one is about 15 years old and sadly way to small for me. Its okay for the short commute to unisverity but its also very old and many parts start to give up.

In an ideal world i could afford both. But i cant. I know the hybrid is more functional for my purposes but i am not sure i would enjoy it as much on a sunday ride out.

Test driving is not an option because my local stores don't have them stored. I kind of have to blind pick.

Why those two bikes? 1. I think they are great value (from internet reasearch). 2. I like their design. 3. Those are acutally the cheapest ones my local bike shops would sell. They dont like cheap bikes and those 700€ are the maximum i can spend on a bike.

I would also like to know how the Allez E5 geometry feels. I want more of an endurance style with slightly more upright riding position. I think that would suit me.

I am happy about any input i can get. This is a lot of money for me and the decision has to be as informed as possible.

Sorry for the lack luster englisch and greetings from the beautiful Graz, Austria :)