Front Wheel/Brake Removal Issue

pb21
pb21 Posts: 2,171
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I can’t remove the front wheel (Mavic Aksium Elite with a 28 mm Mavic Yksion tyre) from my new bike without letting pressure out of the tyre as the brakes (Shimano 105) don’t open up enough when flipping the brake removal switch thing. It’s quite annoying!

Is this just an issue of having too big a tyre on, or are there other brakes available that will allow for removing the front wheel without letting pressure out of the tyre? These Shimano 105 brakes only open up by a few mms; being used to Campagnolo I have never had this issue!

Thanks
Mañana

Comments

• cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    I can't get 28s on my bike for the same reason, think it's just a minor drawback of these kind of brakes.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The 5800 series 105 are better than older incarnations in this respect but wider tyres can still be a minor inconvenience....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Have you tried opening the quick release lever and screwing the adjuster knob in fully ?

or

Loosen one of the brake pad holders, then re-tighten it after refitting the wheel. It will be quicker than re-pumping the tyre.

How often do you need to remove the wheel ?
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    trailflow wrote:
    Have you tried opening the quick release lever and screwing the adjuster knob in fully ?

or

Loosen one of the brake pad holders, then re-tighten it after refitting the wheel. It will be quicker than re-pumping the tyre.

How often do you need to remove the wheel ?

Once or twice a week as it gets put in the back of my car.

I will try the adjuster knob method I think, get it set up so that it is screwed out to begin with to get maximum benefit from screwing it back in!
    Mañana
  • Sounds like a candidate for discs
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Do you have the same problem with the back wheel? If not, just take that one off.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Just let some air out of the tyre it's not the end of the world.