26"rim brake wheel sort

bukowski_jr
bukowski_jr Posts: 15
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Having suffered broken limbs from 2 different mtb bikes, where the disc break wheel jammed and threw me. I refuse to have a disc brake bike anymore.

Sadly the spokes are starting to pop on my rear wheel, and I need to get a new 26" rear wheel. However it seems they are like gold dust now, especially a decent-ish one (around £100)

I wonder if anyone knows of somewhere that sells them? I was looking to get a wheel built, but most places won't build onto my Shimano hub.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Comments

• ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Disk brake jammed? never heard this from anyone yet. There are some wheels on tredz and few other webside but can't advice which is good.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    What jammed exactly? Seems strange, especially for it to happen twice...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited April 2017
    I have never heard of a disc brake jamming on. For it to happen on two different bikes and each time result in broken bones is hugely surprising.

Anyhow, there are loads of 26" rear wheels for sale. Look at the usual outlets - CRC, Wiggle, Superstar, eBay, etc.

How about THIS from Merlin?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fill yer boots

https://www.merlincycles.com/rear-handb ... 49010.html

Or you can still get decent rim braked rims from the normal German sources and then get it laced to to your hub
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bukowski_jr
    bukowski_jr Posts: 15
    Thanks for tips.

Disc brakes jammed on a 26" Scott MTB while going down a steep meadow, 2nd time was on a 29" Trek and it jammed for no obvious reason in a residential area as kids were walking about for halloween, so i looked the part!