Wheel rebuild / replace

pirnie
pirnie Posts: 242
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

I've discovered that the rear rim on my winter bike is down to less than 1mm thick, closer to 0.7mm in places, and looking pretty worn so I think it might be time to replace... I need to check the front but that may need doing as well

Currently the rear wheel is a 32h Shimano 105 hub laced 2-cross to a Mavic CXP22 rim and the front is the same combo but 28h. As the hubs is still working beautifully I'm trying to work out if it's more economical to rebuild or replace. What would you guys do?

For a rebuild, I think I'd either replace with an open pro, or an H plus son archetype, unless there are any other rims I should consider? Also, can anyone recommend a wheel builder in the Durham/North East area?

None of the factory built wheels I can see online are really appealing to me, does anyone have any particular recommendations?

Comments

• If you replace with another CXP22 rim then the only cost will be the rim and maybe some nipples if the existing ones are shot.

Open Pro and Archetypes would both need news spokes as the ERD is different.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    If you replace with another CXP22 rim then the only cost will be the rim and maybe some nipples if the existing ones are shot.

Open Pro and Archetypes would both need news spokes as the ERD is different.

Can I reuse the old spokes? I always thought that you should replace the spokes in a rebuild
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If I could build wheels I'd try reusing the old spokes if they hadn't started snapping and they looked OK. Alu nipples I'd replace, brass I'd consider reusing if they were in decent nick.
    Being a simple soul I'd likely tape the new rim to the old, slacken them all off, then transfer them one at a time.

If I was going to the expense of paying somebody to do the rebuild I'd probably have new spokes and nipples.
  • The one thing that does need checking before reuse is the hub to check the spoke holes are not too worn.

If the spokes are fine now then ok to reuse. I agree with replacing ali nipples with brass.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Archetype is a much nicer rim than the cxp22 and if that means new spokes then so much the better in my book.