Garmin 520 battery life

mrah
mrah Posts: 11
edited April 2017 in Road general
Morning, could someone please tell me how long a fully recharged battery on a Garmin 520 will last with the mapping feature running... Thanks.
(Need it for a 200km audax so at least 9+ hours.)

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    I get around 12 hours plus out of mine
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Mine is 2.5 years old... well over 6 hours but not with route following. A warm day helps.
    A battery booster pack as a backup but not exactly a great solution when cycling.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Sometimes 5 hours. Sometimes 12+. I can't quite work out why the difference. I tape one of those lipstick sized USB chargers under my stem if I'm out for a long one, with a small cable which can keep it topped up if running low.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I generally get about 6 hours from mine.
    That's with backlight at 80%, the Glonass on and phone connected/live strava segments running.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Keep the screen brightness down and turn off the bells and whistles and you'll be fine
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • mrah
    mrah Posts: 11
    Thanks for the replys... Seems like a usb mini charger pack thingy could be useful.. And warm weather.
    Cheers.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Upgraded from 520 to an Elemnt Bolt last week. Coincidentally did the exact same 160km loop on Dartmoor I did last year at the weekend. Last year 520 needed an external battery pack to last the distance (~7hrs inc stops). The Wahoo finished with 70% battery. Both had navigation on start to finish, and no back light.

Wahoo's also miles better at everything else so far too.