Confused By Disc Wheel Options

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I hit a massive pothole hard and dented the rim on my rear wheel yesterday. I'd been thinking of new wheels for a while so I figure I may as well look at upgrades but, despite a lot of Googling, I'm still really confused as to what is compatible with what. I also want to replace the front thru bolt as the Allen head is slightly rounded off but I'm not sure about options there either.

The bike is a Bianchi Infinito CV disc and the current wheels are Fulcrum Racing 5 LG disc. Both hubs are 12mm thru axle, 100mm front, 135mm rear. What are my options fro replacing the wheels and the thru bolt?

Regarding the thru bolt, the existing bolt is Bianchi branded - is it specific for a Bianchi fork in terms of the threading on the bolt or the fit of the bolt head into the recess on the fork?

Regarding the wheels am I restricted to 100mm * 135mm rear hubs or will 100mm * 142mm also fit?

I've searched the web but found nothing that definitively helps me, if anyone has advice or any useful URLs that'd be great

Cheers

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    You can't use 142 hubs since they are 7mm wider than your frame. Many thru axle wheels come with adapters for different diamters so you should be OK. If you buy 15mm you can buy an adapter to take you down to 12 or 10.