Wheelset Upgrade Advice

Mills87
Mills87 Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello I was wondering whether people had any suggestions for upgrading the wheels on my Specialized Tricross. Currently the Stock Axis Classic 700c that came with the bike which are starting to wear out. Can't complain about them as they have performed well on all weather commutes, Sportives, Weekend rides, sketchy NCN paths and lugging a bit of luggage in a rucksac.

Probably looking at a price point of around £100, with a reasonable margin and the following spec:

-Clincher, 700c
-Use with Rim Brake
-Shimano 8-Speed Cassette compatible
- Cartridge bearings (preferred)

Heard good things about Mavic Aksiums, but got a bit put off with the comments on weight (80kg myself) and cassette size (spacers available?) and whether they would put up with the term abuse. Ideally I would have more than one bike but such as life....

Cheers!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Mills87 wrote:
    Hello I was wondering whether people had any suggestions for upgrading the wheels on my Specialized Tricross. Currently the Stock Axis Classic 700c that came with the bike which are starting to wear out. Can't complain about them as they have performed well on all weather commutes, Sportives, Weekend rides, sketchy NCN paths and lugging a bit of luggage in a rucksac.

Probably looking at a price point of around £100, with a reasonable margin and the following spec:

-Clincher, 700c
    -Use with Rim Brake
    -Shimano 8-Speed Cassette compatible
    - Cartridge bearings (preferred)

Heard good things about Mavic Aksiums, but got a bit put off with the comments on weight (80kg myself) and cassette size (spacers available?) and whether they would put up with the term abuse. Ideally I would have more than one bike but such as life....

Cheers!

Your budget is a bit tight to guarantee a real "upgrade" from your current wheelset but one option might be Campagnolo Khamsin ASY CX wheelset

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-kham ... 60579087uk

The Khamsin/Scirocco/Zonda range are generally well regarded in the factory built range so the CX specific offering might suit your needs without breaking the bank
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Mills87 wrote:

80kg shouldn't be a problem for Aksiums or most wheels really unless they are absolute weight weenie.

My only experience of Mavic was with a pair of Cosmic Elite. I covered quite a lot of miles on them, but had to replace the freehub 3 times in total @ about £30 a pop. Think they advise servicing it every 1500 miles.

Currently have a set of Khamsins (as above) witch have been fine so far, and will offer a bit of a weight saving (as would the Mavic's) over the OEM wheels your running.

You'll choice will be limited @ £100 though.
  • Mills87
    Mills87 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the recommendations so far! I think maybe "upgrade" should have been "replacement+improvement if possible"
  • Sportiveman
    Sportiveman Posts: 158
    Or for £60 -£99 you could get a set of shimano R501s which are very good hard wearing wheels got a set on my winter bike they are lighter than your current wheels too about 1800 ish