New pedals need adjustment?

oneoff
oneoff Posts: 29
edited April 2017 in Workshop
I picked up some Dura Ace carbon spd sl pedals on ebay, new without tags no returns seening as you ask. The pedals look great and weigh what they should but I noticed when I put them on the bike that there is a small amount of play along the pedal axle. Maybe a half mill on one and one mill on the other.
So , three questions. Is that normal? Given that pedals are to some extent self tightening will the play be taken up after I've taken them for a spin? Do I need to make an adjustment?
I've serviced my cheaper Shimanos so I'm not completely in the dark here. If you know the pedal you will know that between the flange and the pedal body there are two rings one with two flats and one with multiple. Would I need to tweek one of these to remove the play or strip down the pedal down further. Sorry I can not attach a photo at this time.

Thanks and best wishes,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Self tightening relates to screwing themselves into the crank arm and not tightening up the bearing freeplay/preload

Whether the seller accepts returns or not is up to them, doesn't affect your rights under the ebay rules to receive items as advertised, personally though I'd just service them as per the shimano tech docs.
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RAPD001-00-ENG.pdf
    Pages 16/17/18
    Should be no freeplay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oneoff
    oneoff Posts: 29
    Thanks The Rookie,
    Much appreciated.

Best Wishes,