Garmin 1000 not picking up cadence sensors

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,584
edited April 2018 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

went out for the first outside ride for a fair while on Sunday, seemed rude not to, after 3 months of solid TrainerRoad.

Charged up the Garmin, and it picked up my HR Strap with no issues - a different one to which I used with it last thinking about it.
But if refused to pickup my new style cadence sensor.
Changed the battery, and still nothing.
Then tried adding on the speed sensor, and adding it as a speed\cadence sensor, but still nothing, and finally, tried the same new style cadence sensor that was say on my Synapse, and still nothing.

Also tried removing all other cadence sensors it had ever seen, from a variety of bikes, but still resolutely refused to register a single thing.

Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure I have used the cadence sensor without the speed sensor, they don't need to both be on the bike do they?
I have not changed the battery in the speed sensor.

When I first got them, I seem to remember it being a comparitive piece of p1ss, and it just picked them up, and away we went.

It was only a spin out, with no real targets in mind, but after having spent all that time training, and partly working on cadence, I really missed having that stat to hand - and yes I know you don't need it, ride on feel etc etc, but for me I wanted to see it.

I do have a new GSC10 knocking about, so I could try that, but it's so much more ugly than the new variants.

I suppose I could hard reset the Garmin, but not sure that is going to achieve much.
Perhaps both of my cadence sensors are kaput :-(
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Not sure about the new ones but the old speed cadence sensors were not detectable until they had turned on which required a spin of either the wheel or the cranks. That's the only thing that springs to mind and is so obvious I'm sort of assuming you already tried it.
  • daniel_b
    mudcovered wrote:
    Not sure about the new ones but the old speed cadence sensors were not detectable until they had turned on which required a spin of either the wheel or the cranks. That's the only thing that springs to mind and is so obvious I'm sort of assuming you already tried it.

Cheers MC, yep I tried that - the Garmin even prompts you to do so - not sure if there is meant to be any lights on it at all, didn't think so to signify it is on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    I'm pretty sure that the magnetless sensors do flash for a very short time after "startup" - they are of course insanely dim, so probably harder than they should be to see in daylight.
  • daniel_b
    I'm pretty sure that the magnetless sensors do flash for a very short time after "startup" - they are of course insanely dim, so probably harder than they should be to see in daylight.

Thanks MOL, I'll have another look tonight - yesterday morning I was super keen to actually get out, and as it was such a nice day did not spend too much time on it upon my return.

Maybe I have duff batteries or something.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    it isn't a BluetoothL v ANT+ clash is it?
  • daniel_b
    imatfaal wrote:

I don't think so - the sensors themselves are Ant only I think?
    And I don't have any bluetooth sensors of any kind, well apart from a speaker I use in cconjunction with another laptop when using the Turbo, but then I don't even bother using the Garmin for obvious reasons.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Daniel B wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

I don't think so - the sensors themselves are Ant only I think?
    And I don't have any bluetooth sensors of any kind, well apart from a speaker I use in cconjunction with another laptop when using the Turbo, but then I don't even bother using the Garmin for obvious reasons.

Newer cheap sensors are often just Bluetooth (aka BTLE aka Bluetooth 4.0 aka lotsa other Acronyms), newer expensive sensors are both ANT+ and BT. The Bluetooth are much more energy efficient and detectable by a greater range of mobile phones. What are the sensors?

Have you tried full reset of your headset - sometimes it just needs a kick up the ...
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    this will be most likely be a simple you've got it looking for the wrong type of sensor

the old two in one sensor that sat on the chainstay is known on the garmin as the speed/cadence sensor

the new ones are individual speed or cadence sensors and you can choose the type
    speed/cadence (the old one that goes on the chainset)
    speed (new one that goes on the hub)
    cadence (new one that goes on the crank)
    speed and cadence (the two new ones)

thats the 810 set up, id guess the 1000 is similar. so have a look in there
  • Man Of Lard
    On the 1000 you can just tell it to find all sensors (regardless of type)... works perfectly for everything apart from the Edge Remote.
  • daniel_b
    On the 1000 you can just tell it to find all sensors (regardless of type)... works perfectly for everything apart from the Edge Remote.

I've tried all methods, and had one set up on the Synapse with no issues at all, it picked it up originally with zero issues, and worked like a charm.

These are the ones I am using (I have two sets in total):
    garmin-bike-speed-sensor-and-cadence-sensor-010-12104-00.jpg

There is no bit on there where you need to choose the bike is there, and associate hardware with it - I thought they took that element away?

imatfaal's suggestion of a full headunit reset may be the ticket, but will have some more time tomorrow to have a proper play with it, and try some other things first.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Nope Edge 1000 has sensor pool.

I checked my sensors - they definitely flash a couple of times when they're woken up. If yours don't change battery.

Speed sensor it flashes through the hole at the end of where it says "Garmin"; Cadence sensor it's just by the N of Garmin.

Silly thought - how many paired sensors does your Edge have? There is a finite limit (I think it's 20) and knowing your penchant for bargains, etc - you may have had 20 paired and not bothered to "forget" some that are no longer with you...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Buying another Edge 1000 is the easiest solution :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Can you manually input the ANT ID?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    They also flash when you put a battery in. If you replace the battery and there is no flash then something is wrong with the sensor or the battery is dead.
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2017
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    2 months to update!

Have been surviving without cadence, but have a 50 planned tomorrow, so am keen to get it working.

Ordered some new 2032's, and have just gone through the process of removing the old batteries, and replacing with new ones, and there is zero activity on either unit, so can only assume that somehow, and with not that much use, they are both dead like a Norwegian blue - not very impressive for a unit with zero moving parts.
    I have reserved a new one at Halfords, if that works out of the box, then it proves these are both dead :?

No sign of any battery leakage or damage in the compartment, and although one has spent a fair bit of time in the garage (Still watertight) the other one has spent most of the time indoors - bit of a mystery.

Still, if I end up with working cadence before the afternoon is through, I will be happy enough.

And if this one goes the same way, I will be looking at bringing my trusty GSC10 back into play, or looking for another alternative, any suggestions for as slick, in theory, as the crank based option?

Would this be compatible with a 1000?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wahoo-rpm-cadence-sensor-bluetooth-40-and-ant/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So there we go, just picked up a new one from halfords, attach it to the crank, didn't even need to move the crank, and it picked it up straight away!

Other 2 must be brown bread.

Not going to tempt fate by taking the battery out of the new one, just happy to have the data available.

Have read a few posts online about people changing batteries in them, and they would never connect again, so perhaps I have been a victim of this feature :-(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Send the others back to garmin
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Man Of Lard
    Daniel B wrote:
    So there we go, just picked up a new one from halfords, attach it to the crank, didn't even need to move the crank, and it picked it up straight away!

Not going to tempt fate by taking the battery out of the new one, just happy to have the data available.

Have read a few posts online about people changing batteries in them, and they would never connect again, so perhaps I have been a victim of this feature :-(

My experience: when you change battery in any Garmin sensor, either leave the device with no battery at all for 24 hours or short the terminals within the sensor (inserting the battery upside down is as good a way as any to achieve this). If you don't, the sensor draws so little current in operation that it fails to recognise the presence of new fresh battery so doesn't fire up.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    Send the others back to garmin

Do they not have a limited warranty though, at least in lifespan - these will both be 2+ years old I reckon.

My experience: when you change battery in any Garmin sensor, either leave the device with no battery at all for 24 hours or short the terminals within the sensor (inserting the battery upside down is as good a way as any to achieve this). If you don't, the sensor draws so little current in operation that it fails to recognise the presence of new fresh battery so doesn't fire up.

That's very interesting - I will give that a go for sure. I did try the battery back to front thing, but it didn't seem to make any difference - however, leaving it empty for 24 hours I have not yet done - going out for a 50 shortly, just fuelling up on coffee, will go and whip the batteries out of both now - thanks for the tip :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    They do have a warranty, but you've also got a brand new receipt, just sayin'...
  • daniel_b
    They do have a warranty, but you've also got a brand new receipt, just sayin'...

hehehe :wink:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922

Had a low battery warning flash up when out in the sun this morning doing a hilly 40 miles so changed it as soon as I got home cause I'd forget as this is on the good bike, not the used daily bike and the speed sensor on the front hub was picked up straight away with a new battery in it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    Daniel B wrote:

This has happened to me today! Did everything in this thread and even changed the battery twice but no joy. New cadence sensor it will have to be.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • For anyone else who may be out of the loop as much as I was, at least on my Lezyne Super GPS, the 4iiii Precision power meter supplies both power and cadence readings over ANT+.

This means I can stick my Bluetooth only ~£20 Lidl cadence sensor back on the Voodoo.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo