snake bite holes in tyres

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited April 2017 in Road general
second time now on diffrent bikes in the last month ive come back from rides and while cleaning bike found holes in tyres like a vipers bitten them ive been cycling for a few years and can honestly say ive never noticed it before also will i need new tyres now

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    That's what happens when moving tyres come into contact with a stationary object.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    More pressure would be my advice.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That's what happens when moving tyres come into contact with a stationary object.
    Which was moving - the bike or the snake?
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Hopefully the bike as the wheels were moving.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That depends on your frame of reference.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    That depends on your frame of reference.
    Hopefully that is moving too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    pe1ter wrote:
    second time now on diffrent bikes in the last month ive come back from rides and while cleaning bike found holes in tyres like a vipers bitten them ive been cycling for a few years and can honestly say ive never noticed it before also will i need new tyres now
    Do you really mean "tyres" or tubes? It would be very unusual to get two pinchflat marks in tyres, particularly without puncturing. What pressure are you running, what weight are you and what is the tyre width?
  • pe1ter
    the holes are on the tyre and in two diffrent bikes on single speed it has 28 mm tyres and on road bike ive got 25mm i am a bit on the heavy side i put 100psi in 25 mm tyres ive been cycling on and of for years and never noticed this before
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    side wall blowouts?
  • pe1ter
    on top of tyre
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    You've hit something hard and it'll have pinched against the rim, it's pretty common if the pressure isn't adequate.

Or you encountered the elusive Ninjasnake.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pe1ter
    would you say its a new tyre then costly few rides if it is 2 tyres
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are they perfectly round holes? Some slick tyres have wear indicators which disappear as the tread is worn away.

http://www.albertnet.us/2013/02/ask-dr-tyre.html
  • Like this?

004.JPG
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • pe1ter
    daves not here you are a star yes thats what they look like but a bit closer together both sets of tyres are continental thanks for that i think people thought i was going mental ( how thick am i ) :roll:
  • I found the same on my tyres and thought I'd fallen victim to the lesser spotted european shed viper.

My mate told me they were wear indicators
  • pe1ter
    both bikes have conti grand sport race on them but other bike i dont use has gp4000s on it but not seen them wear indicaters and ive done hundreds of miles on them in the past
  • Mine are Conti grand sport race, they came with the bike
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    They are indeed wear indicators.
  • keef66
    How come Dave's getting all the credit? I posted a good 2 minutes before him! :wink:
  • keef66 wrote:
    How come Dave's getting all the credit? I posted a good 2 minutes before him! :wink:

Yeah, what's going on pelter, give the man some credit will ya?

Obvs my post was better with photo evidence
  • keef66
    I think my mistake was posting a link rather than a photo. People often CBA to click on a link whereas a photo is self explanatory. Live and learn... :D
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I have never remotely managed to run the tyres long enough for those wear indicators to become relevant - the sidewalls give out long before then. (76 Kgs at approx 90-100 PSI)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • pe1ter
    no the holes in the tyre are the indicaters and when they dissapear its time for new ones just been reading on it continental have being putting them on certain types of race tyres now for 2 years :lol:
  • pe1ter
    sorry keef66 your a bigger star didnt see your reply my mistake :roll:
  • pe1ter maybe you should lose some weight and stop drinking the snake bites, if you want to get rid of the holes try salad.
  • pe1ter are you sure your not on an exercise bike in your bedroom eating take-aways and drinking beer and pretending you ride,, bloody snake bites, their wear indicators you salad dodger
  • pe1ter
    this can inly be one three arsholes from work who dont know the first thing about bikes or cycling