Pedals help please

IanWhite
IanWhite Posts: 85
edited April 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

So looking for a set of clip less pedals for my bike think the time for the change has come , so been looking around and on the net and thought I'd decided on a pair of Crank Brothers Double shot's , but have been told buy my local shop that the have some longevity problem's and they also have reliability worries

Now i know they are store and they will try to sell me what they stock , but they recommend ht x2 pedals

Anyone using these and what do you think of them ? , also is anyone using Crank Brothers Double shots and what do you think of them please

Thanks for any help , Ian

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I use Shimano XT trail pedals been on this pair for about 4 years and still going strong even with the cages being pretty bashed up
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The CB are better than they were but nowhere near the reliability of Shimano, I'm using 2008 XT (admittedly I'm on my second set, both bought used), alternatively have a look at the Boardman pedals at Halfords, circa £30 and lighter than the current XT's, I understand they are made by VP for Boardman but have no 'proof'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • IanWhite
    Thanks Both for the advice

Ian
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Shimano are so cheap and so reliable, not sure why anyone would bother with any other pedals?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I bought some Boardman's as they were cheaper and lighter than the shimanos ... they are lasting really well, take daily use on and off road commuting ALL weathers and look and feel new 6 months on of daily use.

That said the shimsnos are all years old and I have never serviced them in any manner other than a quick spray of gt85
  • IanWhite
    Thanks chaps Will go and have a chat with them again and see what i think

Ian
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yeah, CB have so many reliability issues that they don't offer a 5 year warranty (which has been around for a good few years now). I'd ask them exactly how many sets of Double Shots they've sold and what the reliability issues are with them.

I have Mallets on both my MTBs and they've been bomb proof for many years.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris