Yorkshire Dales base

rajdav
rajdav Posts: 42
edited April 2017 in Tour & expedition
Hi,
I plan to spend 3/4 days in Yorkshire Dales this summer. I need advice on a suitable village to base myself. Each day I'd plan to cycle 50-80 miles and try and see as much as I can. I do not want to have travel each day.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks
Cannondale Supersix Ultegra
Genesis iO

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Hawes... seems the obvious choice, squeezed between the two most famous passes
    left the forum March 2023
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    If you want easy access to all the nice climbs, Malham, arncliffe, Halton Gill, Park Rash, Fleet moss, I would stop Grassington or Kettlewell. Hawes is ok but it's a slog to get to some of the climbs I've just mentioned.
  • Not technically in the dales but Layburn is very close and if the weather is against you, you have the North Yorkshire moors close by and there is some nice routes heading toward Harrogate.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    +1 for Kettlewell
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Has to be Hawes. Surrounded be miles of good rides to north, south, east & west. Good climbs of Fleet Moss and Buttertubs straight out of town. Easy to incorporate Lamp Moss, Barras, Coal Road, The Fleak, Dale Head and many others on day ride loops. Sort of distances you are looking at can get Park Rash or Kidstones in quite easily
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    The main problem of cycling in Britain is credibility... the names of the climbs do not suit cycling, they sound stupid compared to the French ones... take "Park Rash"... what kind of a name is that? It's a name of a disease at best
    left the forum March 2023
  • The main problem of cycling in Britain is credibility... the names of the climbs do not suit cycling, they sound stupid compared to the French ones... take "Park Rash"... what kind of a name is that? It's a name of a disease at best
    What?! :D The names suit the type of cycling you'd encounter though. If it was called the bench of pretty girls or something daft like that you might get the wrong idea about the climb.
    I'd echo being based in Hawes - great loops north and south from there; and fantastic cheese.