Advice on B'twin 700 alur vs planet X RT 57

phospho123
phospho123 Posts: 32
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
been offered the B'twinfor £380, pristine condition.. been used for a year. Any thoughts on the bike? All stock components and serviced twice.

The planet X RT 57 is with full SRAM rival and has external cabling which seems easier. However it is full Carbon so I am very cautious. I have been offered this for £330

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Buy both.

I love my alur, Its stock other than the wheelset. So full 105 (10 speed) and standard chain set (which is claimed lighter than the 105).

I use it as my best bike and £380 it is an absolute bargain. It climbs well and is all day comfortable (i have ridden 150 mile days on it)

I'd imagine that the Alur would be lighter than the Planet x (which i own a variant) as well regardless of the alu/carbon.

Ride them both and see what you like.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Can't afford both unfortunately. Would it really be lighter? Think the Alur is at about 9kg
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    300grams difference in the weight of the frame and fork between the two, should say that's in favour of the px.

It's all relative really as I said. Ride them both and see which one you like and more importantly if either one fits and then you'll know.

Doubt you'll be disappointed with either at those prices.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I've got an Alur 700. Not s bad bike at all, much better if you can put a half decent wheelset on it. The bike itself looks more expensive than it is and most people think it's carbon. The ride is fairly lively, although it is on the harsh side over bumps. 10 speed 105 isn't brilliant, the front mech especially is a bit industrial but these things are upgradable in the future.
  • Thanks, I guess I want a good frame that I can upgrade over time. I wish I could find a CAAD or something solid