Cameras on bikes

jeremy1
jeremy1 Posts: 71
edited May 2017 in Commuting general
I have had cameras on my car for over 14 years long before most people thought about them, but I also have front and rear cameras when cycling.

Is this the norm now

Do others have them on every day. I rarely ride on road but I have had problems with dog owners

Comments

• its not too common round here.
    the lycra folk tend to wear only full race equipment and any else hinders performance....
    commuters tend to be the ones to have them as they are getting much closer and more personal to traffic. they seem to be the only ones.
    i would if i commuted, there are muppets about.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Considered it a few times, but in 7 years of commuting I've only had one incident where I would have used the footage for anything so it seems a bit unnecessary.

Not aimed at you jeremy, but there seems to be a relationship between using a camera and getting involved in an incident to use the footage from!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    The Rookie wrote:
    Considered it a few times, but in 7 years of commuting I've only had one incident where I would have used the footage for anything so it seems a bit unnecessary.

Not aimed at you jeremy, but there seems to be a relationship between using a camera and getting involved in an incident to use the footage from!

Im not sure thats valid conclusion, because we dont know how many people are using cameras quite happily not becoming overnight youtube sensations, we only hear about, or should that be view, the ones that cause a stir, and you cant extrapolate the behaviour of some of those people in the videos, as a sample size to anything.

I agree, Ive only had a handful of incidents in the last 5 years I guess where video evidence would have been useful to raise either an official complaint to the police, or even a deterrent . so it doesnt mean they arent useful. but YMMV
  • jeremy1
    If you forget the rubbish spoken about people getting cameras just to be youtube people, I have cameras on my car because I am sick of tailgeters, I have two large signs on the back "Tailgaiting camera, tailgaters are reported" in SEVEN years I have never been tailgated, you see them come up behind ad BACK off.

With bikes cameras may not stop accidents but could it be that more drivers are aware of the use of cameras now and therefore take more care both of cars and cycliste
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I'm expecting that they will be the norm soon for road users. I don't know whether it will be cameras built into new cars, people being forced by their insurance companies or government legislation, but I see it happening eventually. With that more and more people on bikes will be getting them too.

I use one on my commute. In London these days over 20% of accidents with a cyclist are hit and runs, so at least if I was hit and that happened there might be a better chance of IDing the driver. I've already suffered once at the hands of a hit and run driver and had a separate accident where we went to small claims court at the driver completely lied about the event, so at least now I know I might have something to help support me in such an event.
  • jeremy1
    squired wrote:
    I'm expecting that they will be the norm soon for road users. I don't know whether it will be cameras built into new cars, people being forced by their insurance companies or government legislation, but I see it happening eventually. With that more and more people on bikes will be getting them too.

I use one on my commute. In London these days over 20% of accidents with a cyclist are hit and runs, so at least if I was hit and that happened there might be a better chance of IDing the driver. I've already suffered once at the hands of a hit and run driver and had a separate accident where we went to small claims court at the driver completely lied about the event, so at least now I know I might have something to help support me in such an event.

100%, they don't stop accidents BUT if you are the victim they are great, I am sick of people who complain about people who use them for just putting up videos on youtube, I have cameras on my car for dangerous drivers, phone users and people who tailgate

I have friends who have been knocked off by morons with long dog leads so cameras are a must
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I run with a camera purely to help identify in a hit and run, after suffering one.
    I've reported intimidating driving a few times, but given the time required to do so, it's a complete pain to do in Hampshire, and none have ever been chased up (let alone viewed by the police) as far as I'm aware.

Re "antognisation" - there do appear to be a few out there that do that, but most that I'm aware off are "just cyclists getting grief for being on the road".
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • jeremy1
    I am 60 and was going at my usual low speed round a small roundabout when a passenger leaned out said get off the road you fat ..... and punched me
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    jeremy1 wrote:
    I am 60 and was going at my usual low speed round a small roundabout when a passenger leaned out said get off the road you fat ..... and punched me

I hope you got the plate as that's assault plan and simple, plus dangerous driving as to punch you on a roundabout means the car must have been too close as well.
  • My son is a Police Officer, they now have cameras fitted to their stab vest. It's not on all the time and I'm not sure the criteria they use to use them. He feels having a camera definitely has had an impact on way most people respond to him and no doubt vice versa. Some people however just don't care.....
  • jeremy1 wrote:
    If you forget the rubbish spoken about people getting cameras just to be youtube people, I have cameras on my car because I am sick of tailgeters, I have two large signs on the back "Tailgaiting camera, tailgaters are reported" in SEVEN years I have never been tailgated, you see them come up behind ad BACK off.

With bikes cameras may not stop accidents but could it be that more drivers are aware of the use of cameras now and therefore take more care both of cars and cycliste

I doubt that's much to do with the stickers to be honest, if you stick to the left-most lane possible on any multiple lane road you'll rarely be tailgated
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 wrote:

I doubt that's much to do with the stickers to be honest, if you stick to the left-most lane possible on any multiple lane road you'll rarely be tailgated

Duh you have to overtake sometime, and it is when you are in the middle or outside overtaking busses, lorries caravans etc that you get the moron up your arse, and I can 100% assure you that I can post no end of video that clearly shows idiots coming up my tail and clearly ""backing off" when the see this

Only on a rare few occasions have I pointed back out of the window and the DO back right off knowing 1. the camera is on and 2 I have seen them.

[url][/url]P1050241.jpg
  • jeremy1
    jeremy1 wrote:
    My son is a Police Officer, they now have cameras fitted to their stab vest. It's not on all the time and I'm not sure the criteria they use to use them. He feels having a camera definitely has had an impact on way most people respond to him and no doubt vice versa. Some people however just don't care.....

100% see my site and what I said today I take my hat off to ALL the Police force, officers, PCSO's and all

https://www.facebook.com/Powerbike-Phot ... 8548894377
    https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/classiccarstv.tv/
    http://www.jrs-photography.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/All-out-photog ... 495752822/
  • jeremy1 wrote:
    jeremy1 wrote:

Duh you have to overtake sometime, and it is when you are in the middle or outside overtaking busses, lorries caravans etc that you get the moron up your ars*, and I can 100% assure you that I can post no end of video that clearly shows idiots coming up my tail and clearly ""backing off" when the see this

Only on a rare few occasions have I pointed back out of the window and the DO back right off knowing 1. the camera is on and 2 I have seen them.

[url][/url]P1050241.jpg

Yeah - they probably think you're a nutter to be honest
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • jeremy1
    You are funny ;);)

With up to £40K of gear in the back of my car my concern is a moron running in to the back and don't say it doesn't happen just to respond
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Thats a daft thing to own up to on a public forum.... wots it worth on gumtree?
  • jeremy1 wrote:
    You are funny ;);)

With up to £40K of gear in the back of my car my concern is a moron running in to the back and don't say it doesn't happen just to respond

I've never seen anyone tailgate to the point that they drive in to the back of someone...You're more likely to be driven into while waiting at a junction or traffic lights
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    jeremy1 wrote:
    I have had cameras on my car for over 14 years long before most people thought about them, but I also have front and rear cameras when cycling.

Is this the norm now

Do others have them on every day. I rarely ride on road but I have had problems with dog owners

No. It's not the norm. Hope that helps.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    My name is not Norm and I have no cameras on my bike or car,
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    jeremy1 wrote:
    With up to £40K of gear in the back of my car my concern is a moron running in to the back

wait till you get a kid ...... unless you already have one then shame on you for caring more about some replaceable "stuff"

Its like the ultimate Baby on board sticker :D
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It's tempting to get a dummy camera with blue LED to put on the car, van & bike if it has such an effect! ;)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    fat daddy wrote:
    jeremy1 wrote:
    With up to £40K of gear in the back of my car my concern is a moron running in to the back

wait till you get a kid ...... unless you already have one then shame on you for caring more about some replaceable "stuff"

Its like the ultimate Baby on board sticker :D

It is a child then ,, hasnt modern parenting spent £40k by the time 'it' is 2 years old?
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Hi
    I use cameras for 3 reasons.
    1 To look back sometimes on the nice rides . (not very often )
    2 To report pot holes so I have a piture of the hole when I log it on fillthathole website.
    3 To get numberplate of close passes so other people can serch for them if they get hit. proof for other people that a driver is an idiot not just made a mistake. Also to reoprt them if it is that bad, useally about 1 every 1-2 years, but reported 3 so far this year.

Usally I hope they see the camra and then just back off, but the last one didn't.
    https://youtu.be/0GI7j4dB8PI