11-28 to 11-32 change question

gazmon
gazmon Posts: 8
edited April 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

I have an 11-28 cassette on my road bike , what would an 11-32 cassette give me over the existing one?

im using Ultegra, will i need a long or medium cage?

just a question any help appreciated

gazmon

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    gazmon wrote:
    I have an 11-28 cassette on my road bike , what would an 11-32 cassette give me over the existing one?
    It may make your life a bit easier as you'll be able to 'twiddle' up steep hills
    gazmon wrote:
    using Ultegra, will i need a long or medium cage?
    You might get away with a short cage depending on other factors - search these forums, this subject crops up quite a lot.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    gazmon wrote:
    Hi,

im using Ultegra, will i need a long or medium cage?

just a question any help appreciated

gazmon

Maybe about 8-10% easier bottom gear but also some bigger jumps between the 3 lowest cogs.

From posts on here it could be worth trying the 11-32 out with your existing short cage rear mech. You might get away with it OK with some tweaking of the B-screw. Also it might be wise to avoid running big/big if you are prone to do that currently.

If the SS rear mech does not work then you'll need a medium cage (GS) rear mech.
  • gazmon
    gazmon Posts: 8
    how would i know if i have a medium or short cage?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you look on Shimano's website it tells you how to work out what you need.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Andcp wrote:
    gazmon wrote:
    It may make your life a bit easier as you'll be able to 'twiddle' up steep hills

For some reason a lot of people think that having a gear a bit lower than the one you already have will somehow transform your ability to climb 20% hills. You will magically be able to "twiddle" or spin up the steepest gradients. In my experience it makes climbing a bit less of a grind but there is no magic.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Does anyone know if you can get away with a 32 sprocket with D9100 DA as an Ultegra cassette 11 to 32 is 40 quid where as a DA 11 to 30 is 170 quid.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    lesfirth wrote:
    Andcp wrote:
    gazmon wrote:
    In my experience it makes climbing a bit less of a grind but there is no magic.
    100% agree - I have a 32 cassette I take to 'long' hilly areas and use the 32 as a bail out gear - top of the Galibier on hot day? you'll find me in the 32 for the last bit. I live in the Derbyshire Dales but I only run a 28 here, and very rarely use that.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill