Cycle Scheme Voucher To Spend

nibbsy
nibbsy Posts: 41
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi
I am shortly going to get a Cycle Scheme voucher for Paul's Cycles. I have looked at the site and think I have narrowed it down to these 2 (I don't really want to pay full price for a 2017 model):

Giant Defy Advanced Pro 3 2016 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p69 ... PRO-3-2016

Cannondale Supersix Evo Ultegra 2016 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... TEGRA-2016

Obviously 2 quite different styles, and I'm not completely sure whether I want the more relaxed geometry of the Giant, or more racer style of the SS. Is the SS enough of an all-rounder that it won't get too uncomfortable on longer (2+ hour rides)?

I'm also not sure about the sizing of the Giant - it's a Medium and looking at their sizing chart I'm somewhere in between a Small and Medium (I'm 5'7 and a half with a 30" inside leg). Whereas the SS they have the 52 which I know is the right fit.

I prefer the look/colour of the Giant (not massively keen on the bright red SS), and obviously the Giant is a bit cheaper.

Alternatively, I could wait a few months for the 2017 models to go on sale at Paul's, and hope to get something more 'perfect' for me (i.e. not compromising on size/colour). I do have a decent enough bike to ride in the meantime. Will Paul's agree to extend the expiry date on the Cycle Scheme voucher?

Or am I kidding myself that I will find the perfect bike, and should just get one of those 2?

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• I don't think you'll get a bad bike with either of them to be honest.
    I had a Giant Defy (Aluminium) but I preferred the more race orientated position of my summer bike hence I sold it and bought a Kinesis (roughly same geometry as my Felt). That doesn't mean that it (the Giant) is a bad bike, and if you read all the reviews you will see that it is well regarded. My impression was that it was (is) a good bike but I wanted something a little different.
    If it were me I'd go for the SS for the geometry and the fact that it is bright red...
  • nibbsy
    nibbsy Posts: 41
    I don't think you'll get a bad bike with either of them to be honest.
    I had a Giant Defy (Aluminium) but I preferred the more race orientated position of my summer bike hence I sold it and bought a Kinesis (roughly same geometry as my Felt). That doesn't mean that it (the Giant) is a bad bike, and if you read all the reviews you will see that it is well regarded. My impression was that it was (is) a good bike but I wanted something a little different.
    If it were me I'd go for the SS for the geometry and the fact that it is bright red...

Thanks, I think the reviews for the SS are generally better, but the Giant does sound decent. Any idea what the weight comparison between the two would be?

I guess the bright red is a matter of personal preference! :)