Bumpy finish on Supersix himod

Timmyepp
Timmyepp Posts: 48
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking at my almost new bike, noticed bumps in the carbon on the top tube, by the seat. Is this normal?
Here is a link to the pic, those dark colors are the bumps, not weird lighting. The bike was purchased in November of last year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153528668 ... res/78385d

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Looking at my almost new bike, noticed bumps in the carbon on the top tube, by the seat. Is this normal?
    Here is a link to the pic, those dark colors are the bumps, not weird lighting. The bike was purchased in November of last year.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153528668 ... res/78385d

Looks almost as if your top tube has got varicose veins.

I wouldn't class that as normal. Must have been some issue with the lay-up of the carbon around that internal brake cable channel by the looks of things.

If it were me I'd have it back to the supplier for investigation.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Agreed, thats not normal, should be smooth.

I'd send it back personally.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Timmyepp
    I'm bringing it back to the LBS, they said they will get their Cannondale Rep involved. Now that I have noticed it, it's all I see every time I look at my bike...
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Could be to do with carbon lay up, on different sized frames the rear brake cable comes out just there.
  • Had a similar issue last year with a seat stay on my Scott. The mark/bump was under the lacquer and definitely not caused by any impact on the frame. Scott replaced it (with a nicer frame!) with no quibble at all. I was told that when something like this is raised by a customer, they won't risk not replacing it - if it fails and causes injury after its been highlighted, there is potential for a large legal claim..... On that basis I think Cannondale will replace (with the same or better depending on stock frames) with no dispute.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Take it back.

Are you from NI?
  • Timmyepp
    I live in Canada. My biggest concern is that I don't want top be without a bike for a while, the weather is just starting to get nice. Also really like the colors of my frame, and don't really like moist of the others.....
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Timmyepp wrote:
    I live in Canada. My biggest concern is that I don't want top be without a bike for a while, the weather is just starting to get nice. Also really like the colors of my frame, and don't really like moist of the others.....

Ask your bike shop for a loaner while a replacement is sourced for yours.
  • Timmyepp
    Dealer has started a warranty claim, here's hoping all goes smoothly. They are letting me keep and ride my bike in the meantime.
  • Timmyepp
    Cannondale is giving me a new frame, the Black 2017 DA1 version. The only issue is that I am not sure they will give me a new seat, as the seat that came on my 2016 DA2 is color matched to the grey and red of the frame. That along with the cost to get all of the components moved over is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. It is basically a brand new bike with a factory defect, and it's not like I am getting an upgraded frame. It would be different if my bike was a couple years old. Am I right to push back?
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Timmyepp wrote:
    Cannondale is giving me a new frame, the Black 2017 DA1 version. The only issue is that I am not sure they will give me a new seat, as the seat that came on my 2016 DA2 is color matched to the grey and red of the frame. That along with the cost to get all of the components moved over is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. It is basically a brand new bike with a factory defect, and it's not like I am getting an upgraded frame. It would be different if my bike was a couple years old. Am I right to push back?

Shouldn't cost you a penny to have the components moved over. The LBS should do it and bill Cannondale. This is what happened when I had a similar experience with Specialized.
  • Timmyepp
    PaulMon wrote:
    Timmyepp wrote:

Shouldn't cost you a penny to have the components moved over. The LBS should do it and bill Cannondale. This is what happened when I had a similar experience with Specialized.

The LBS said warranty will only cover parts. In fairness to them, they are not the store where I purchased the bike.